What kind of goat is Sugar?

sred98

Songster
12 Years
Jan 18, 2008
Oklahoma
I went and picked up 3 pygmies yesterday. A billy, a female pregnant with triplets, and Sugar who is pregnant with twins.

I am fairly new to goats, but Sugar doesn't look like a pygmy to me. I've been looking around on the internet and I am lost. She is taller than the two other pygmies, she seems finer boned and her head is shaped different. When I went to pick her up, I asked them what kind of goat she was, but they said pygmy, and she was just a white one. Even her hair is different.

She is solid white with a few tiny black speckles on the tips of her ears. The orange is from where she's been rubbing on the trees. We've been having a lot of rain, so she's dirty.

SANY1414.jpg

This is a picture of Star, who is pregnant with triplets.

SANY1409-Copy.jpg

Is Sugar a pygmy? If not, is she a mix, or what kind is she? The goats seem a little thin to me. Are they? Should I see their hips like that? They are supposed to be due the end of November. What can I feed them to fatten them up?

Thanks!

Shelly

Most likely Nigerian, Pygmy, and a couple generations back something that had dropped ears, likely Nubian, possibly Boer.

Oh, and the thinness. That's the "dairy" look. I hate it lol, I hate seeing bones, but the white doe does not look underweight according to dairy goat standards.

Just make sure they have free choice grass hay, and it looks like they have lots of nice browse.

You can add a small grain ration and top it with a little beet pulp if you feel they are too thin. You have to be careful not to make them overweight, as this can complicate kiddings.

I try to ignore the hip bones. You can't see the ribs on your doe; is there a small layer of fat over them? You should be able to feel the ribs but not see them.

Last edited:
I looked up the Saanen. She does look like one! But I think she's too small. She's not a whole lot bigger than the Pygmies. But she is definitely leaner and leggier. Not at all like the description I've seen of Pygmies..."A beer keg with legs" Because that's definitely what they look like!
lau.gif

Maybe she is a mix of Saanen and something else? She's a little skittish. Not nearly as friendly as the other two, but we
love.gif
her!

I feel better knowing they aren't too thin! I gave them some grain, actually some of our Thoroughbred's senior feed with molasses and beet pulp in it. What kind of feed should I supplement with? Should I get a special goat feed, or is sneaking DH's super expensive food ok for them? Also what about corn once in a while? I have corn chops for the pig, is it ok to give them a small treat? I've got a lot of reading to do, but they are sweet!

The boy is going to my friend's house. He's got some does that he wants bred, and he is still trying to breed these girls. He seems a little rough with them, and I'm afraid he will hurt them.

Thanks for the input!

Shelly

Oh! If she is a Saanen mix, then that would probably explain why her bag is a lot bigger than the other goat. I had meant to ask about that! LOL! Because the Pygmy is a lot heavier with the triplets, and looks like she is ready to pop. I expected her bag to be larger, but Sugar almost looks like you could milk her!
th.gif
In fact, my 10 yo wanted to try! LOL! I had to convince him he couldn't do it til the babies are born.

Thanks again!

Shelly

I have a saanen that is cross with boer, she is 1/2 each, and she is smaller than the others, very much so. Her mother is full blooded registered champion milker, she had twins last year and they were both small, but my tinkerbell is much smaller and she is 2 now.
you never know what you are going to get when they are crossed! she looks like dairy cross for sure, but she is a pretty girl! Whatever she is!!

Sounds and looks like a Nigerian Dwarf, they are a miniature dairy breed. Smaller than full sized goats, but leaner and leggier than pygmy's which are miniature meat goats. Nigerians come in every color and color combination possible just about.

i have both a saanen mix and a pygmy and my little pygmy is much much friendlier the saanen is just interested in food while the pygmy loves to be cuddled and will jump the fence into your arms if you aren't careful
roll.png
DH learned the hard way to keep your eyes on the goats

Thanks so much for the replies!

One other thing...their hooves...
th.gif
I've trimmed goats and sheep before, but these are really really bad! I was shocked. The outer part completely curved under the entire hoof. Will it be ok for me to trim them? I'm not sure if they have a quick like dogs and cats, or if the bleeding comes from cutting it too high on the sides.

I only looked at 2 hooves on 2 different goats. I'm sure the other is just as bad. I'm really surprised at how bad they are. They were in a pasture with horses, so you would think they would trim them on the rocks. The only other ones I've seen this bad were from some people who had some goats living in a tiny yard.
sad.png

Thanks!

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom