What kind of goslings are these?

FeatherLace

Chirping
Apr 7, 2020
Waycross, Georgia
So I got two goslings from tractor supply, and they told me they were chinese white geese. I didn't question it since I've never even seen a goose in person, but I was looking up pictures of chinese white goslings for a cuteness comparison, and they just don't look the same. Are these really Chinese Whites?

P.s: don't worry about them getting soaked in the pool, it is a 100° F day

Attachments

• 20200603_125810.jpg
    20200603_125810.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200603_125804.jpg
    20200603_125804.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 7
Probably Brown Chinese. They're more common, and they're very prolific layers (= more goslings to sell = more profitable). Africans, pure Africans, are fairly rare.

Africans should have a dewlaps when they grow up. Chinese are often crossed with Africans because Chinese are great egg producers (for geese). Africans are usually more desirable, because they're calmer, quieter, and heavier, so these offspring are marketed as Africans, but they're really not. They're mutts.

I think Leader Bee was joking.

Probably Brown Chinese. They're more common, and they're very prolific layers (= more goslings to sell = more profitable). Africans, pure Africans, are fairly rare.

Africans should have a dewlaps when they grow up. Chinese are often crossed with Africans because Chinese are great egg producers (for geese). Africans are usually more desirable, because they're calmer, quieter, and heavier, so these offspring are marketed as Africans, but they're really not. They're mutts.

I think Leader Bee was joking.
I feel silly now because I was so busy at the time that the joke passed right over my head, oops!:lau

But thank you for the information! What are the differences between the two breeds? Is one bigger than the other? If mine is a kind of hybrid, then will they just have traits of both? Will the dewlap be the telltale sign?

What are the differences between the two breeds?
Chinese are smaller, and the browns are supposed to be smaller than the whites, so they're a pretty small goose. Chinese are very loud, and somewhat aggressive. Africans should have a dewlap. Africans have a thicker neck. (I've seen white Chinese marketed as "the goose that looks like a swan).
Is one bigger than the other?
Africans are bigger than Chinese.
If mine is a kind of hybrid, then will they just have traits of both?
Yes. They probably won't have a dewlap, but they should be a little bigger than the Chinese.
Will the dewlap be the telltale sign?
If they do have a dewlap, they're definitely Africans. If not, they're Chinese, or African hybrids.

Back
Top Bottom