What kind of grouse is this bird...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by eldonrgv, Feb 26, 2017.

1. eldonrgv

eldonrgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2016
    Roma Texas
    For starters I don't even know what a grouse bird looks like. I'm selling some cockatiels and I was offered this birds as a trade, I was told by this girl it was a pair of urogallo still was like huh???? And that's all she knew about them when she bought them at a flea market. I googled and all this different kinds of grouse show up Tetrao Urogallus, Western capercaillie, and a whole lot more. Any idea what we have here? And is it a male and female?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure what that is. You might have more luck asking in the Pheasant and Partridge section, it looks like it might be from that general family of birds. Also, what are cackatailz? I googled and didn't find anything, lol.

Edit: After thinking about it you probably meant cockatiels :oops:

3. eldonrgv

eldonrgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2016
    Roma Texas

Cockatiels....typing on my phone with this big bans is frustrating. Thanks ill ask on that forum.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    well it looks interesting

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I just googled "Grouse," and among other things it mentioned they are often mistaken for partridge. I particularly read on about ruffled Grouse because I've heard of them but, never seen any. It said males and females are pretty much identical and the female can act like a male. But a female would have one white spot near the tail, while a male has several.

Apparently this is among the many birds hunters go after, so I would imagine they are good to eat.

6. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    It is a female wood grouse. The male is black.

7. Quails1

Quails1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Walnut, CA
    Apparently, the girl must've tricked you into thinking they're capercaillie, and I feel sorry that you fell for a lie. Those aren't grouse... they're female ring-necked pheasants. To the novice, they may be misidentified for certain species of grouse, like sharp-tailed grouse, or as Cel45 said, a female capercaillie, AKA a wood grouse. Check to notice if these Google images resemble the birds you have now: https://www.google.com/search?q=Rin...ved=0ahUKEwjjudz0oLzSAhXm6IMKHf-0Ag0Q_AUIBigB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by