What kind of grouse is this bird...

eldonrgv

Songster
Oct 5, 2016
Roma Texas
For starters I don't even know what a grouse bird looks like. I'm selling some cockatiels and I was offered this birds as a trade, I was told by this girl it was a pair of urogallo still was like huh???? And that's all she knew about them when she bought them at a flea market. I googled and all this different kinds of grouse show up Tetrao Urogallus, Western capercaillie, and a whole lot more. Any idea what we have here? And is it a male and female?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what that is. You might have more luck asking in the Pheasant and Partridge section, it looks like it might be from that general family of birds. Also, what are cackatailz? I googled and didn't find anything, lol.

Edit: After thinking about it you probably meant cockatiels :oops:

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what that is. You might have more luck asking in the Pheasant and Partridge section, it looks like it might be from that general family of birds. Also, what are cackatailz? I googled and didn't find anything, lol.

Edit: After thinking about it you probably meant cockatiels :oops:

Cockatiels....typing on my phone with this big bans is frustrating. Thanks ill ask on that forum.

Last edited:
I just googled "Grouse," and among other things it mentioned they are often mistaken for partridge. I particularly read on about ruffled Grouse because I've heard of them but, never seen any. It said males and females are pretty much identical and the female can act like a male. But a female would have one white spot near the tail, while a male has several.

Apparently this is among the many birds hunters go after, so I would imagine they are good to eat.

For starters I don't even know what a grouse bird looks like. I'm selling some cockatiels and I was offered this birds as a trade, I was told by this girl it was a pair of urogallo still was like huh???? And that's all she knew about them when she bought them at a flea market. I googled and all this different kinds of grouse show up Tetrao Urogallus, Western capercaillie, and a whole lot more. Any idea what we have here? And is it a male and female?

Apparently, the girl must've tricked you into thinking they're capercaillie, and I feel sorry that you fell for a lie. Those aren't grouse... they're female ring-necked pheasants. To the novice, they may be misidentified for certain species of grouse, like sharp-tailed grouse, or as Cel45 said, a female capercaillie, AKA a wood grouse. Check to notice if these Google images resemble the birds you have now: https://www.google.com/search?q=Rin...ved=0ahUKEwjjudz0oLzSAhXm6IMKHf-0Ag0Q_AUIBigB

Back
Top Bottom