what kind of heat lamp should I get?

If they are fully feathered and your coop is draft free, they most likely won't need supplemental heat. Some view their chickens in the pet category and do supplement (I'm one who does because I'd do the same for my dogs or cats). My advice if you choose to supplement is to use a low wattage bulb (red heat bulb or otherwise)...in a smallish coop like yours, a 50 or 60w bulb would be fine. Heat lamps are not the safest heating options out there (there are flat panel heaters, homemade clay pot type heaters, etc.), so if you go that route, never clamp the lamp - always make certain it is VERY well secured with sturdy wire or small chain. For supplemental heat, I only have it on at night.
Some use a regular bulb (white) to encourage winter time laying...extending the daylight hours. Those folks generally put the light on a timer to come on around 4 am or so, to turn off by 8 am or so (or whenever it gets daylight in your area).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=421122

They
do not need heat...
wink.png

chickens dont need heat for the winter.....if the light should go out for some reason the chickens could suffer the the temp change...
better to NOT heat your coop....
I'm a little worried, it's been -16 out. I've been keeping the coop shut all day when it's this cold. Never had a light, is it nessasary?

Back
Top Bottom