what kind of heater should i use

duramax65diesel

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 24, 2014
what kind of a heater should i use in my 5x5 coop it gets really cold should i just get a heat lamp or something maybe not so bright it gets in the negitives here post pictures of yours so i have an idea of what it looks like

None, Chickens can handle the cold. Heatlamps needlessly run up your electric bill, and you could possibly burn your coop down. My birds are in an open-air, uninsulated, unheated coop, with temps into the low single digits(Not including wind chill), and they are perfectly fine.

what kind of a heater should i use in my 5x5 coop it gets really cold should i just get a heat lamp or something maybe not so bright it gets in the negitives here post pictures of yours so i have an idea of what it looks like

I use brooder lamps and 250W heat bulbs (red). It does not heat the coop a lot since my pop doors are open and upper vents are open (downwind). It for sure gives the birds a place to warm themselves and also helps with egg production. Use common sense with your installation and wiring. Many will claim that your coop will burn down if you use electric or lamps but it is the same with wiring your barn, garage, house or outbuildings. I have electric to the goat shed and dog houses as well. 17 below forecasted for Monday. :-o Hope this helps!

what kind of a heater should i use
Chickens are not polar bears we have to keep in mind. Laying, vocal, and active birds in my opinion is a sign everything is right in their world. That being said when a chicken has 3 trips around the sun it is there as a pet not for egg production. If your birds or animals are showing signs of stress you have to do what is right in your situation. The one size fits all is a recipe for disaster.

Take inventory on your animals daily and make daily decisions is what I do summer and winter. A heat lamp and TLC can happen not only in winter and not always due to cold.

In Canada I am subject to -40º cold snaps. I do NOT heat or give extra light in my coop. Murphy's law says my birds will find out what -40 is all about when my hydro goes out.

Regardless what you decide feed Extra Corn over the winter you will not be sorry.

Or something like this may help also; You could even knit a hoodie for those extra cold days..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom