What kind of incubator is best for a small batch of quail?

Quote:
You're lucky, I did that with the one I had and the windows got to where they would fall out every time you took the top off
hmm.png

Well, Shelley....... after all of the problems most folks have with them, I figure I got one that was made in the middle of the week.........as opposed to everybody else's being made on Friday at quitting time........LOL. Seriously, it has done me good, but I will retire it this winter and build one like I want. I may rob the fan from it, but the heating element / thermostat is not what I want in my bigger version. I wish I could afford one of those GQF Sportsmans, but my budget won't allow to go that extravagant..........not with 3 little ones runnin' around here wantin' this and that......
smile.png

Seriously! I didn't have much problems with mine, the biggest problem was with humidity. I just learned to ignore it
gig.gif
I did add a fan to it though, but it pooped out after just a few months (Ebay CPU fan). But since getting these hovabators I'll never go back to an LG. They are good in a pinch, but if you want to be serious about hatching the LGs are just not worth it.
I have been thinking about getting another bator, maybe I'll try a brinsea? $99 is a lot less than what I paid for both of my hovabators, though they do hold more eggs. At least the smaller capacity would keep me from wanting to fill it up so much
lau.gif

Quote:
Well, Shelley....... after all of the problems most folks have with them, I figure I got one that was made in the middle of the week.........as opposed to everybody else's being made on Friday at quitting time........LOL. Seriously, it has done me good, but I will retire it this winter and build one like I want. I may rob the fan from it, but the heating element / thermostat is not what I want in my bigger version. I wish I could afford one of those GQF Sportsmans, but my budget won't allow to go that extravagant..........not with 3 little ones runnin' around here wantin' this and that......
smile.png

Seriously! I didn't have much problems with mine, the biggest problem was with humidity. I just learned to ignore it
gig.gif
I did add a fan to it though, but it pooped out after just a few months (Ebay CPU fan). But since getting these hovabators I'll never go back to an LG. They are good in a pinch, but if you want to be serious about hatching the LGs are just not worth it.
I have been thinking about getting another bator, maybe I'll try a brinsea? $99 is a lot less than what I paid for both of my hovabators, though they do hold more eggs. At least the smaller capacity would keep me from wanting to fill it up so much
lau.gif

I agree, and even after reading all of the negative reviews on it, I still got one because my feed store carries it, and I got a good deal on it. But, it's not the ideal equipment if you're serious about doing a lot of hatching. This year was my first year to really do a lot of hatching, and I've learned a ton from using this styrofoam box, therefore I know what I want and don't want in my cabinent style bator.

Last edited:
Quote:
Now don't tempt me! I've already got the capability of hatching 300 quail eggs with only 2 hovabators with turners! Probably more if I ever got that many at one time
lol.png

Heck I Set 300 Pheasant Eggs In My Octogon 40 At Once. The Octogon 20 Will Easily Accomodate About 200+ Quail Eggs If You Know How To Do It
smile.png
And It Takes Up Less Than 1/2 The Space Of A Hova
smile.png

Quote:
Brinsea ECO 20 is $99.00 (when on sale)

Brinsea beats the pants of any Styrobator including overrated and overpriced Genesis no matter how you look at it.

Why pay $200 for piece of styrofoam which will fall apart in few years, is unsanitary and difficult to clean? Unsanitary and difficult to clean? After each hatch, you take the lid off and take the bottom off and hose the crud out of the bottom, the wire bottom can be replaced, the plastic tray can be washed with dish soap.

Brinsea is made of heavy duty molded plastic, dishwasher friendly, keeps temperature rock solid, REACHES and hold operating temperature in about 10-20 min unlike styrobators which need to be "stabilized" for days before you put your eggs in. The Hovabator Genesis has preset 99.5 temp and Brinsea is known to be off in temperature at times. You need to calibrate it a lot.

Beinsea offers 2 years warranty. (Ask any styrobator seller it they give you 2 years warranty LOL) No wonder, more technical problems occur with brinsea.

This is no brainer! YEP

Brinsea is a Caddy, Styrobator is an overpriced Yugo

I beg to differ. My Hovabater is 3 years and still kicking. My brinsea is 10 months and not working...

Have you called Brinsea? They fixed mine right away (thought it was somewhat beat up looking after a third trip through the p.o. and I missed the tiny hairline crack til I'd almost finished a hatch). It kept a good temp & humidity through a hatch, though, and the hairline crack is not all the way through the plastic.

This brinsea holds 7 eggs, doesn't cut it for me. If it held more eggs I would put more effort to get it fixed. I have a cabinet incubator, a hovabator, and a tophatch. Wonderful hatches, wonderful birds.

Back
Top Bottom