What kind of light timer do you use?

NonnasBabies

Muddy Acre Farms
12 Years
Sep 20, 2009
Pride, La.
I've been reading alot of post lately where it's suggested to have your lights come on at around 2am - 3am. What kind of timer do you use for that??? All that I've see were dusk/dawn or you could set it to come on at dusk and go for however many hours you'd like. But I haven't seen one to do the opposite!!

I'd appreciate any help I could get because I think this would be the best for my situation.

The reason for not turning it on at dusk is so when the light goes out, the chickens don't get stuck standing in their tracks. Natural dusk allows them to get ready for bed.

As for turning a light on and off any outdoor timer would work.

Quote:
Do you have a brand name?? Because a reg dusk to dawn timer won't work in the opposite direction. I just bought one yesterday and I can't get that on to work nor will any of the ones I have for my christmas lights!!

you want one that lets you set a time and then push little pins to set the time lights come on and off...there are several brands...I can't think what I have and it is raining so I ain't checking! LOL! This type costs a little more usually. The dusk to dawn operate on a light sensor...

Quote:
Ah, I gotcha!! THANK YOU so much!!
smile.png
I just couldn't figure it out. I must have about 15 of the other ones but I'll go buy one of them this week end!!
smile.png

If your near a Wal Mart, they should have a bunch of different types. Usually in the electrical section. I just bought the cheapest pin set timer. Easy to use.

so.. one should ideally use a dual timer?? mine comes on at 4:00 pm (not quiite dark yet) and then off at 8pm (totally dark)....

Back
Top Bottom