What kind of Muscovy is my girl?

3E807725-1275-42A1-9F6F-E0001272CA8C.jpeg

Here’s her and my other female, emma. They are buddies but Emma still controls her. I don’t know if I said her name. She’s miracle. We named her that because she is a miracle. We found her in our local park. Which is where a lot of people dump there domestic ducks. Luckily it’s in the middle of town and there is no predators but they have no shelter. The muscovys fly in during the summer and fly away during winter. In November we went down to feed the ducks because they are usually starving in the winter because no one feeds them. And we noticed a duck that looked odd. So we walked over and saw her. The way the park is set up is not good for ducklings, the ducks have to fly out of the water to get out when the water level is low. There is walls around the water. She was a 4 week old duckling. No mamma, no other babies. I stuck my hand in and she swam up to me. We pulled her out and she was shivering and closing her eyes, we wrapped her up and brought her home. I have some domestic ducks already so I knew how to care for them. My domestics don’t live with my muscovys though. Anyways she was the sweetest duck ever. She loved to snuggle and would trill nonstop at nighttime when I told her goodnight. She’s almost grown now and is a bossy queen bee. Guess that’s what I get for spoiling her! Our other muscovys were rescued from the same park. They both had broken wings. A male and female. The females wing was bloody and the feathers were gone. The males wing was luckily just broken and not bloody. Emma, the females wing actually broke off at the elbow after a few days. She went to the vet and got meds and is all good now. She just won’t be able to fly. But since she’s a pet that’s not an issue. The males wing is still broken. We are looking into getting it removed. We think they broke their wings from a dog grabbing hold of them or a person.
CA4B8015-B3C9-4056-B161-A1D349006A39.jpeg

In this photo you can see how the park is set up.
32FEA9BF-EA4C-428E-A935-AAB56806CC15.jpeg

And here you can see Emma’s wing. Hers was really bad. They live outside now! And are very happy. They get a warm box to sleep in now and they don’t have to wake up and worry if they will get food or not now. ❤️

Last edited:
What a great rescue story! :hugs
It makes me sad that people just drop off unwanted animals though.
Me too :/ recently someone dropped off a khaki and a mallard. I feel so bad for them. They are so precious. The male, the mallard, is just the most tough little thing, him and the khaki stay off by themselves and the little male is so brave, he runs and chased the others away if they try to come in his area. My heart feels for them. I take food to them often. My park really needs to put up signs educating people that you can’t dump them.

Maybe you can talk with someone in charge about that. With Easter just around the corner it's going to get worse.
The only people in charge of the park is the council. I emailed one of the members and never heard back. Guess they don’t care.
Easter is my least favorite time of year because of all the dumped ducks. :(

I too dislike it very much. I always end up with ducks dumped on my front lawn. Or park rangers call me to catch ducks that have been dumped.
So Around Easter, I make surveys for those wanting to buy ducks from me. It's a 50 question survey and they have to fill it out before I even consider them a customer.

Back
Top Bottom