What kind of predator does this ?

She was sleeping on the ground and I did see a mouse out there a few weeks ago and I will put more poison out near darkness

Oh yea you think an small opossum could do this ? And this isn't on the chicks that sleep on the roost only the ones that are on theground

Think maybe mice or something there was a raccoon or fox that killed the first one but the poison tool care of that now this seems like maybe a cat or another very young raccoon

I seem to remember that North Carolina is smack dab in the middle of the American Opossums' range. Possums also become independent from mamma possum at an early age, or IOW before little Pogo is big or strong enough to become an efficient chicken killer.

Betting on a raccoon. Need a good guard dog and electric fence. Since we have lots of hawks in this area, I also put netting over top of the run. Used that thin, light weight black plastic netting with about 1 inch squares. Was so flimsy, wondered if it would do the trick. Am amazed that it has held up well after a couple of years.

I caught it eating the poison sure enough it's an opossum I just killed a small female at my aunt's house 3 quarters of a mile away and this one is the exact same size and ran right up the tree and just sat there just like the other one . but it should be dead tomorrow anyway thank God. this time of year is always the time my chickens get attacked never happened not once in the summer but I'm more experienced now and I'm also building a new pen right now to.have more they won't win this year

.... sure enough it's an opossum....

Dang, I'm good.

QUOTE="chickengeorgeto, post: 19225131, member: 178438"]I seem to remember that North Carolina is smack dab in the middle of the American Opossums' range. Possums also become independent from mamma possum at an early age, or IOW before little Pogo is big or strong enough to become an efficient chicken killer.[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom