1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of predator?? (graphic images)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Noobchick, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Hubby and I bought a farm a couple months ago, not intending to get any animals until we finished renovation on the house. But surprise!! The previous owner left about 30 chickens, all but 12 of which we re-homed. The previous owner had so many chickens that the ramshackle coop she had up couldn't fit them all, so the overflow chickens got used to roosting in trees and bushes. The farm is 30 minutes away from our current house- I go up once a day, but can't make the trip twice a day to let them in and out of the coop, even assuming that I can train them to use it.

Over the last few days, we've lost two chickens. The first one is pictured. One has gone missing today- I'm halfway expecting to find her carcass somewhere tomorrow.

The one pictured went missing one day, and was found ripped apart the next day.

I have several questions:

1. What kind of predator am I dealing with? Coyote? Fox? What would eat the neck and wings like that?

2.Given that I can't be there as much as I'd like, what can I do to try to prevent more attacks? I can't just stand by and let this thing pick off the farm birds one by one. Besides the losses, I don't want a predator thinking my farm is a fast food restaurant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have read about battery-operated coop door openers (automatic door openers) for sale. That might be helpful for protecting the ones who go into the coop at night. Of course they also sell the electric ones but I was thinking maybe you don't have electric out there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/451925/auto-coop-door-opener-kit

3. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    i would say a small fox or young coyote. Something that is small enough that would not take the chicken with them. Ive heard stories of raccoons attacking chickens, along with possums.

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012

5. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    We lost another one today. This is getting d**n old.

Chickengeorgeto: thank you for your reply. After doing some research, I think you're right. And I now KNOW i heard an owl hooting. Thank you very much!

6. grokie18

grokie18 New Egg

Dec 9, 2011
    If i'm not mistaking that should be a raccoon i have had the same probly with them before.

7. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I agree with Chickengeorgrto, if it is happening at night it is most likley an owl, if it is during the day then a hawk or eagle. If you can try to lock your birds up for a few days, If there is no food for them for a few days then they will move on to better hunting,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by