What kind of predator?

HeatherIhn

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2015
I am suspecting it was a hawk or cat. We had them out, with our porch door open and my fiance ran out when he heard them freaking out. Our Easter Egger narrowly escaped, but we don't know what it was. She lost a bunch of back feathers, but no other visible areas were effected and no blood. We are freaked out and never going to let them out of our sight without a rock solid enclosure. Does anyone know what kind of animal could have done this?

Oh right! I live in an urban setting in the Bay Area. I've seen raccoons, hawks, and stray cats come around on a rare occasion. My fiance checked her thoroughly and didn't find any puncture wounds but I will check again when I can get home. It seems to be just feather loss. I have vetericyn that I can spray on top but does anyone use anything else to protect bare areas?

Thanks!!!

You don't need to protect the bare area if there's no injury.
I would get a trail camera to monitor your yard and see what's visiting, but good you won't let them out unprotected because it will be back. That one has beautiful feathers, despite the loss of feathers.

Well I haven't done a thorough check yet but from first glance I see a minor scratch on her shoulder that's just bleeding a tiny bit (dried scab now). There were SO many feathers in the yard, and she looks like she lost most of her tail feathers too. She seems pretty shocked and isn't moving much now. She did eat some meal worms when I threw them in but for the most part, she seems pretty zoned out. I brought her inside to keep her warm and to give her a quiet area, but any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Hayley for your help!!! I bought a trail cam today

Large chunk of feathers missing with no wound to skin?
Dog running around with mouth full of feathers would be my guess.

Large chunk of feathers missing with no wound to skin?
Dog running around with mouth full of feathers would be my guess.
we have 6 foot fences along our property, so it couldn't have been that. and our dogs prefer to melt in the couch inside to chasing chickens. ;). We don't let them out with them anyway.

We have a tiny back yard in a very urban area, it didn't take long to check the fences lol. I also know all the neighborhood dogs that are on the other side. It happened in the morning, we usually let them out to "free range" for about an hour before we head out to work, with some occasional supervision and with the patio door open so we can run out if we hear anything. It took my fiance literally seconds to run out there and the predator got away with no trace. I have seen one raccoon in the time we've been there, one hawk, and lots of cats along the fence.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Back
Top Bottom