What kind of puppy would you get for a 7 year old boy?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by juliechick, Dec 30, 2010.

1. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    My DS is 7 and wants a puppy so bad that he can't think about much else. We thought about getting one for Christmas, but we just weren't ready yet. The dog would be mostly outside. We have a fenced back yard, plus a couple acres that he could run around in with my DS. We want one that will like to play fetch, but is not crazy hyper. Medium sized or a little smaller would be best.
    Looking forward to your opinions!

2. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    beagle

3. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
  4. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

beagle (but sheds and my son is allergic) mini schnauzer doesn't shed and son is NOT allergic-very perky personality, fun loving and likes to snuggle (for mom [​IMG])

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Golden Retriever! I've had Goldens for years and they are a kids dog!, loves the grandsons and plays ball with them all the time. The kids are 6 and 7.

6. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Golden retriever or black lab

7. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't get a beagle, unless you intend to do alot of work with it. My best friend has a beagle, it has cost her soo muich money getting it out've the pound. I really like our german sheperd, I also like our sheperd lab cross, why don't you see what the pound has? I nice big dog, will help protect you son out in the yard, from any human preditors [​IMG] Nobody would come up my lane with the dog and the kids out there, he goes birserk!

8. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    Keeshond! This little guy is available!

[​IMG]

9. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

beagles will make phone calls, write dissertation papers and drive to the store for you for a food treat.. Have food? Will obey!

10. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Have food? Will obey!

This is the problem I got with them, when you got no food, they will follow there nose anywhere.. with that being said, if you have enough time and property, they really are very smart! And strong, and cute!!​

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by