What kind of quail are forsale and how much you get for them

I'm in Texas, and I see people selling live adult coturnix quail of many colors for $5 or so on Craigslist. Chicks are a dollar or two. If you want to make money off them, your best bet is to sell the eggs, not the birds. Coturnix are the easiest and cheapest species to keep.
Also, unless you want to start up a large-scale farming operation, don't expect to make money. If you're lucky, you might make enough money off selling the eggs to pay for their feed and supplies.

My local feed store charges $3 per coturnix quail chick, when they have them. They've pretty much cornered the market too, since they won't order an incubator in for me. I live in a small country in Central America and ordering one in from amazon can be a hassle with taxes, customs, and freight, a $100 purchase can quickly turn into a $300 investment or vanish somewhere in transit.

I sell coturnix chicks for 4 each or 3 each if getting more than 6 birds, so almost always $3 each. Sell adults: roos $5, hens for $6. Can't hardly sell the eggs, but when i do its $4 per dozen. I live in a small town in new mexico and theres not a great market for them. For eating eggs especially, i have sold some as hatching eggs though. Never have seen any other types for sell within 300 miles, including edges of texas, but who knows.
I have raised gambels, they are flighty, stay super wild, freak out everytime you pass them or when you feed and water, etc. hard to breed in captivity and even stinkier than coturnix, it was a worthwhile fun experiment but to me, coturnix are vastly superior as to ease and for meat and eggs! And they are cuter and mature quickly.

My local feed store charges $3 per coturnix quail chick, when they have them. They've pretty much cornered the market too, since they won't order an incubator in for me. I live in a small country in Central America and ordering one in from amazon can be a hassle with taxes, customs, and freight, a $100 purchase can quickly turn into a $300 investment or vanish somewhere in transit.
You should try making your own incubator . I made mine, basic still-air, no auto turners, and have hatched a couple hundred chicks in it. You can find great tutorials on youtube, here and google searches.

Depends on the market! If its 'flooded' not going to get much, if they are scarce, then you'll get top dollar.
Bob's usually go in the range of $10 to 25/pr. for adults. Gambels will go anywhere from $25 to $50/pr. for adults.
I see Cot's going for $3 to $5 per bird. Most of the time you'll see the eggs of Cot's being sold, instead of chicks or mature birds.

Back
Top Bottom