What kind of quail is this? Button? Coturnix? Hybrid?

Kamiki

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 15, 2013
So I've began breeding Button Quail in the past several months, so I'm still learning all the different color phases and such. But I'm fairly certain I have an anomaly.

This guy I original banded as a female, because of the brown coloration. However, several weeks later when I was inspecting my birds, I noticed that she had nearly outgrown her band. I use tiny little rubber bands that usually last the lifetime of my buttons, but this chunky gal already was stretching it out. So I took it off and noticed the bib and the reddish underbelly.

So, "she's" huge (for a button!), has a bib, not none of the blue or red coloration i'm used to seeing in Buttons. Even most color phases of buttons the males tend not to have so much brown on their top, however females usually never have bibs or red coloring on their belly.

So, is this a color phase I'm not aware of? Or is this a female with a lot of male traits? Or perhaps she's a hybrid with a coturnix? I can't help but noticed the yellow pointed feathers on the back look a lot like coturnix markings (not that I'm an expert, I've never raised cortunix).

If it matters, I hatched her from an egg I ordered online, labeled as button quail. And all her broodmares are definitely buttons.

(excuse my dog for photo bombing!)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you've got a male harlequin quail there. Completely different species, from Africa as I recall. And quite rare, compared to button quail - I'd try to get a female for him.

Thanks guys!! I just went and checked and the Breeder I got my first batch of quail from does indeed raise Harelquins as well. Must have been a rouge egg that slipped in :D

I really like him, and he's super chill for a quail

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you've got a male harlequin quail there. Completely different species, from Africa as I recall. And quite rare, compared to button quail - I'd try to get a female for him.

You got it.Don't cross them with buttons please.Keep them pure before they end up on the extinction list again.
In N.H.,Tony.

Will they interbreed with Buttons? Right now he's in my Button Coop because that's where's been, but I am leaning heavily to trying to get a few more eggs and try to hatch a girlfriend for him. If I can find eggs at a reasonable price >.> I'd have to get a new coop or quail pen... so off to try and convince the wife I suppose ;)

Will they interbreed with Buttons? Right now he's in my Button Coop because that's where's been, but I am leaning heavily to trying to get a few more eggs and try to hatch a girlfriend for him. If I can find eggs at a reasonable price >.> I'd have to get a new coop or quail pen... so off to try and convince the wife I suppose ;)

Scott O'Brien in Me. raises a lot of harlequins,but I don't think they would be laying this time of the year.They breed best in pairs.If I still raised them I would happily send you a hen,but I got out of all quail 5 years ago so I could concentrate on pheasants.Please keep them pure these birds have been thru a lot and I am glad to see them make a come back!.Now all that raise them need to protect them and keep them around for years to come.Make the handful of people that saved them feel proud of their work!
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom