What kind of Quail Should I specialize in??

What Breed should I specialize in.?

• Texas A&M Coturnix

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Assortment of Rare Coturnix Colors

• Mountain Quail

• Albino Valley Quail ;)

• Gambel Quail

• Orange Bobs

• TN Red Bobs

• Wisconsin Jumbo Bobs

• Button Quail

• Blue Scale Quail

• Assortment of Button Colors

• Assortment of Bobwhite Mutations

• All of them

• I dunno.

• None.

• Total voters
So I see you have moved from the pheasant forum to quail now. I stick by my original opinion and before you decide to specialize in any species of quail...pheasant....gamebird....or poultry for that matter.....get GOOD and KNOWLEDGEABLE at raising something that is easy and common. You have as far as I can remember from original posts a handful of mixed bobwhite and then a few ornamental pheasant. I don't think you are quiet ready to EXPAND and let alone run a business. Do you have any shipping/handling skills? Customer service skills? Marketing skills? I'm a business major in college and can tell you right now the key to running any business big or small is how you handle your sales and customers. People want someone KNOWLEDGEABLE...EXPIRENCED...and TRUSTWORTHY. I don't want to buy 2 dozen Jumbo bobwhite quail eggs and get 2 dozen northern bobwhite eggs with half of them broken. Not saying that is something you would do but learning how to ship eggs takes a little practice...well learning how to ship effectively and cost effectively!

My vote would be you stick with whatever it is you have now....learn the ins and outs of them.....start learning what to breed for and selective breeding...and expand slowllly....

I don't think you should go past bobwhite....coturnix...or button quail where you stand right now.
But that is just my opinion.

cool.png

Gambels and Valley are a little bit of a high step for a beginner. Mountain quail on the other hand are a GIANT LEAP. These birds cost a lot to get because they are harder to breed....keep...and are a little rarer than your other species of quail. I wouldn't reccomend anyone with less than 5 years of quail expirence to get Mountains. Sure many people jump right into things and don't hit any road blocks. But these birds aren't the Rhode Island Red chick you can get at any feed store. As you hopefully learned with your Ornamental Pheasants this past winter when you lost birds due to lack of fresh daily WATER and possibly feed. Getting into gamebirds isn't just a hobby in my eyes but a lifestyle. Chickens are fairly easy and should be checked 1-2 times a day and other than that they take care of themselves. But by being a true owner and breeder of ornamentals, you are almost a zoo-keeper on some levels. These birds require special needs...feeds...and conditions.

QUALITY should be the key in your eyes and mind.....forget QUANTITY....LEARN TO WALK....THEN RUN!

cool.png

Back
Top Bottom