What kind of Quail Should I specialize in??

What Breed should I specialize in.?

• Texas A&M Coturnix

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Assortment of Rare Coturnix Colors

• Mountain Quail

• Albino Valley Quail ;)

• Gambel Quail

• Orange Bobs

• TN Red Bobs

• Wisconsin Jumbo Bobs

• Button Quail

• Blue Scale Quail

• Assortment of Button Colors

• Assortment of Bobwhite Mutations

• All of them

• I dunno.

• None.

• Total voters

BobwhiteQuailLover

Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Wisconsin
I am deciding what I want to do with my business at this point, so I need to figure out which birds I want to specialize in, which ones I want to keep, and what colors to breed. Right now I raise Orange, Mex. Speckle, TN Red, Northern, and Jumbo Bobs. I am also ordering Gambel/Valley and maybe Scaled eggs. I have Mountain Quail and A&M, Tibetan Coturnix. So I now need your help.

Last edited:
Quote:
Red Golden, Red Tuxedo, Silver, and Italian.
awesomefowl: I do ship! Email me at [email protected] if interested.
smile.png

Last edited:
I voted I don't know, but an old man told me not long ago that the only serious money he ever made raising quail was with Jumbo Bobwhite. He said people only wanted the Coturnix to eat (or eggs) and only wanted the Bobwhite to hunt. According to him, the Jumbos brought both groups to him. Apparently he was able to fund his whole poultry hobby (and it was a big collection) with the money he made off those Jumbos. I considered it, but wanted something different that I have not seen a whole lot of down here so I went with Tennessee Reds.

Around here, people only ever want the bobwhites it seems. Some people want cortunix, but they sell for $3 apiece or less where as the bobwhites often go for $20-30 a pair.

I voted for the Gambel Quail. Down here in the deserts of New Mexico, they run wild all over the place. People just love them around here. Their calls are so delightful, I will get out of the car in a known area of the desert just to get a possible glimpse of them or hear them call. When I used to live down at lower elevations, I would put out bird seed on cold winter mornings just to have them come into the yard. The coveys would come out of the weeds by following each other in a long line, one after the other, following the exact step of the one in front of other. Their little top knots bobbing up and down. Cutiest quail I have ever seen.

I have only kept Bobwhites as I was talked out of the Gambels being that they are skittish around people. But I should have gone with the Gambels anyway.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom