What kind of roo for a daddy? Which lady (or ladies) for a mama?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeandAli

Songster
8 Years
Nov 28, 2011
Carver, Oregon
I'm not sure if this question belongs here or somewhere else; but, I figured I'd give it a shot. I'd like to start producing some hatching eggs as spring gets a little closer and I'm wondering what kind of roo would be best for my flock. I don't know what breed of rooster to get. In fact, I don't know which of my ladies to try to mate a rooster with.

I have 2 Barred Rocks, and 1 each of Ameracauna, Auracana, New Hampshire Red, and Black Jersey Giant.

Anyone have any experience with any of these breeds making good (or bad) mamas?

I'd appreciate any advice!

~Ali

I'm not quite sure who would make the best daddy, My Ameracana's are very sweet boys and my roo Apollo(my avatar) let Grayson(newest hatchling) roost beside him when Gray first started to roost and Jet protect the ladies from unwelcomed advances. My Rumpless Auracana Roo's are very vocal and love the ladies. As for momma's my OEGB banty was a great mom she's Grayson's mom and even though he was bigger than she was at 4 weeks old she still protected him and my silkie is a good mom so far she's on day 9 and sitting tight on 6 eggs. I don't have the other breeds you have listed but i have red star hens that lay like champions and my turken ZZ is a sweetheart but none of them have gone broody so I 'm not sure what kind of moms they would be and my Ameracana hen hasn't laid yet she's seems to be very timid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom