Winging a hatch

Sunflower247

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2023
Hi whoever sees this, I'm in a bit of a pickle, I was given a carton of eggs that were possibly fertile but not sure by a lady who collected them after her roo got busy, she sells them but gave me these to try under my usually broody hen as she wasn't sure if they were fertile, well my broody didn't go broody because spring so far has been more like winter, after well over a week, closer to end of two, I decided to put them in a box, covered them, added ceramic heat lamp, covered in wool batting and added a water sponge (turning every 5 hours), it's now day 11 and I just candled them, there are 4 fertile and all developing very well, all others were not fertile (zero quiters so far) but now I'm completely unsure how to give them the best chance at a successful hatch as they are literally just in a cardboard box covered in natural wool with a heat lamp positioned directly above, I guess I was trying to mimic a hens warmth with what little I had available, any advice on what I can do to give them the best chance to hatch? I did have an incubator but got rid of it as hatch rate was awful and I don't think I could move them now anyway but I wanted to give them a chance rather than just discard them as they are very rare breeds here. Any suggestions appreciated. Many thanks in advance, Z

If they're developing well, then you deserve a pat on the back for what you've set up so far! It's risky to change their conditions too much, that's true - but maybe you could improve on it a bit? I'm thinking...
*** put that box inside another bigger box lined with something for insulation, just to help keep the inside temperature consistent when ambient room temperatures fluctuate. But maintain a vent hole for air exchange. Be prepared to raise the heat lamp or turn it down, as the added insulation could raise the temp.
*** Add a thermometer near or among the eggs to monitor temperature. It needs to stay at or very near to 99.5-deg-F.
*** Add a hygrometer as well to monitor humidity. For the first 18 days, it should be between 25-50%. For the last three days, bump it up to 70% by adding more sponges or dishes with water, and enlarge or add more vent hole(s). If you use a dish with water, make sure it's covered with mesh or something so chicks don't fall in.
*** Don't turn them at all during the last three days. Only open the box to maintain temperature and humidity, or to remove chicks that have hatched.

If they're developing well, then you deserve a pat on the back for what you've set up so far! It's risky to change their conditions too much, that's true - but maybe you could improve on it a bit? I'm thinking...
*** put that box inside another bigger box lined with something for insulation, just to help keep the inside temperature consistent when ambient room temperatures fluctuate. But maintain a vent hole for air exchange. Be prepared to raise the heat lamp or turn it down, as the added insulation could raise the temp.
*** Add a thermometer near or among the eggs to monitor temperature. It needs to stay at or very near to 99.5-deg-F.
*** Add a hygrometer as well to monitor humidity. For the first 18 days, it should be between 25-50%. For the last three days, bump it up to 70% by adding more sponges or dishes with water, and enlarge or add more vent hole(s). If you use a dish with water, make sure it's covered with mesh or something so chicks don't fall in.
*** Don't turn them at all during the last three days. Only open the box to maintain temperature and humidity, or to remove chicks that have hatched.
THANK YOU! This is all fantastic advice I had not thought of.
I will double box tomorrow, I completely forgot I have a dual thermo/hydrometer and I have been worrying about that so I shall go find that now.
Gosh I have not had the box closed at all it's been open with the ceramic heat dangling over the wool with them under, I have them in the side of an empty wardrobe to reduce draft and so I had somewhere to secure the cord. I'll try to add flaps around the cord in the morning. I think the chicks are doing well from what I could see and from what I have read on here (but I honestly have zero idea what I'm doing), they all have air sacks at the fat end (one is slightly sloped tho) each egg is a different breed but they all have solid red veining traveling up to the air sack, each chick looked to be moving around, thought I saw what looked to be a foot on the light egg (not that I have seen one in an egg before so wild guess really) and they have the big black eye it says to look for and they have a darker side was that right for day 10?
Thank you for the help, I will get to action and cross finger 🤞

Gosh I have not had the box closed at all it's been open with the ceramic heat dangling over the wool with them under, I have them in the side of an empty wardrobe to reduce draft ...
Oh I didn't think about the box being open and the ceramic heat! WAIT..... we don't want to cook them nor start a fire!
If they're inside a wardrobe, can you just tuck a blanket or towel around their box to hold heat in (instead of a bigger box), and leave it open as you have it? I worry that closing things up with ceramic heat will be a disaster. The wool batting is great for cover. I'd leave it.
Just monitor temp and humidity, and keep turning them as you have been.

.....was that right for day 10?
I'm not sure. I usually candle around days 5-7 then again on days 13-14, and finally at lockdown on day 19.

Oh I didn't think about the box being open and the ceramic heat! WAIT..... we don't want to cook them nor start a fire!
If they're inside a wardrobe, can you just tuck a blanket or towel around their box to hold heat in (instead of a bigger box), and leave it open as you have it? I worry that closing things up with ceramic heat will be a disaster. The wool batting is great for cover. I'd leave it.
Just monitor temp and humidity, and keep turning them as you have been.

I'm not sure. I usually candle around days 5-7 then again on days 13-14, and finally at lockdown on day 19.
Yes it's a very odd set up done on the fly so not the best I'm afraid, I really didn't think any would be fertile but here I am lol.
So as per your wonderful advice (thank you again) I have wrapped the outside with Terry towel and lined the inside of the cardboard with thin wool batting to make a barrier between the box and the heat. I turned the lamp off and removed it, covered the top but 4 hours later temp had dropped to 35.4 so I've removed the lid, Re added the lamp above about an inch higher as the extra layers around the box seem to insulate a lot better, I also added an extra fire alarm in the wardrobe for now. Temp is moving between 36.9 and 38.6 (currently 37.1)
Humidity said it was 23% this morning so have added an extra bowl.
Hoping for the best, still can't believe all 4 are hanging in there, feel much better after advice. Thank you for all the help.
Crossing fingers for healthy chicks in a week or so 😊

Will do 😊 if the lil guys make it 🤞I shall post pics and you are more than welcome to name one, thanks to your suggestions the temp has stayed a steady 37.7 all day long and humidity has upped nicely even with an open top, all that's left is to wait it out and hope

Little up date, candled eggs last night, one stopped developing Other 3 have filled out their eggs and as far as I could see looked alive, could see some veining around the air, sack, put them in 'lockdown' as best I could in a cardboard box and crossing fingers 🤞😊🌅

Back
Top Bottom