Winging a hatch

If they can make it under a broody- they can make it with a makeshift ‘bator!

The humidity and temp fluctuations may / may not slow things down a bit- but. I look forward to hearing how it works out 🥰

A quick update on my attempt to wing a hatch in nothing but a cardboard box, a bit of pure wool batting and a ceramic heat lamp after my broody didn't go broody. Out of 8 eggs, 4 were in fertile, all fertile 4 were alive on lockdown day, it's day 21, the silkie has hatched very healthy walking with in an hour of hatch (no spraddle leg), barnevelder is currently zipping in the brooder (when I moved the silkie to the brooder she and the egg were calling to each other and egg stopped zipping to call so I felt it best) one houden died at some point and the other is still in the box waiting, I'm hoping it is still alive the Houdens seemed to be about 4 days behind the others in development so it's in there for a couple more days, a bit of yolk and veins along the air sac are still visible, so THANK YOU very much for the advice, tips encouragement ect that made this desperate experiment a success. I'm still quite amazed that they managed to make it with such a make shift mess of an incubator.

Attachments

• IMG_20230930_111805.jpg
    IMG_20230930_111805.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230930_152630.jpg
    IMG_20230930_152630.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230930_153503.jpg
    IMG_20230930_153503.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 10
A quick update on my attempt to wing a hatch in nothing but a cardboard box, a bit of pure wool batting and a ceramic heat lamp after my broody didn't go broody. Out of 8 eggs, 4 were in fertile, all fertile 4 were alive on lockdown day, it's day 21, the silkie has hatched very healthy walking with in an hour of hatch (no spraddle leg), barnevelder is currently zipping in the brooder (when I moved the silkie to the brooder she and the egg were calling to each other and egg stopped zipping to call so I felt it best) one houden died at some point and the other is still in the box waiting, I'm hoping it is still alive the Houdens seemed to be about 4 days behind the others in development so it's in there for a couple more days, a bit of yolk and veins along the air sac are still visible, so THANK YOU very much for the advice, tips encouragement ect that made this desperate experiment a success. I'm still quite amazed that they managed to make it with such a make shift mess of an incubator.
Did the barnevelder finish hatching, even though it was in the brooder? I'm worried about lack of humidity in the brooder causing shrink-wrapping! If it has shown little progress since last night, I'd say it needs assistance.

Did the barnevelder finish hatching, even though it was in the brooder? I'm worried about lack of humidity in the brooder causing shrink-wrapping! If it has shown little progress since last night, I'd say it needs assistance.

Yes she did, she is a lil weaker than the silkie as she pipped first but didn't zip originally (day 20) so the silkie piped and zipped on day 21 and the barnevelder was still breathing through the pip the day later, she only started zipping when the silkie was laying next to her egg cheering her on mid day 21,hatched early morning day 22, I didn't want to intervere, but I kept checking the egg and she didn't look shrink wrapped just not ready (membrane had red veining attached) so I just wet the very outer membrane that was showing with a qtip to keep it moist, she is doing a lot of resting but had something to eat this morning. She is still drying out. Silkie has not left her side.
Please feel free to pick a name, they would not be here without the great advice 😊

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231001-131624.jpg
    Screenshot_20231001-131624.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom