What kind of roo for daddy? Which lady for mama?

LukeandAli

Songster
8 Years
Nov 28, 2011
Carver, Oregon
I'm not sure if this question belongs here or somewhere else; but, I figured I'd give it a shot. I'd like to start producing some hatching eggs as spring gets a little closer and I'm wondering what kind of roo would be best for my flock. I don't know what breed of rooster to get. In fact, I don't know which of my ladies to try to mate a rooster with.

I have 2 Barred Rocks, and 1 each of Ameracauna, Auracana, New Hampshire Red, and Black Jersey Giant.

Anyone have any experience with any of these breeds making good (or bad) mamas?

I'd appreciate any advice!

~Ali

None of those breeds are good mamas, but certain individuals can have fair maternal instincts. Most true bannies, and standard dorkings and games will make the best mothers. As for the rooster, any rooster that's a good rooster will work. Basically, whatever you like.

Agreed. When we had bantams, they were incredible mothers, so much so that we used them for our broodys. You should have seen one of our little gals covering 6 huge RIR eggs! When they hatched, she just had to tippytoe to cover them all.
lau.gif

Right now, I've got 1 BR roo and he is the sweetest thing. Great protector of his gals, and totally trustworthy (at least so far
fl.gif
) around the humans. Just love the guy.
love.gif
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom