Integrating a roo

Donette

Chirping
Sep 9, 2023
I have 6 nine week old pullets. I’ve posted on multiple forums and all agree they are ladies (light Brahma from TSC). What is the best time to integrate a roo? I know the challenges with a rooster, but my girls free range during the day and we live in the country so I want an “alarm” and some protection for them. How old should the new rooster be and any tips? Is there any importance in getting a Brahma rooster vs other breed? Pic of my little flock TIA

Attachments

• IMG_5358.jpeg
    IMG_5358.jpeg
    927.2 KB · Views: 78
You can wait until they start laying. You could also get a cockerel the same age as your pullets and grow them up together. That can open up behaviors that look too violent for some. I'd always go with a male the same breed as your girls. Even better if it's the se colour

I try to get one about the same age as the hens. Though some folks like an older, well-settled rooster who will not hassle the ladies to much. It's really up to the personality of the rooster. Try to find a non aggressive rooster who will not harm the hens.

If I were you, given what you want the roo to do, I would look for someone local with a mature roo looking for a new home. If it's local and mature it's probably already immune to the pests and diseases local to your area, so it's less likely to be bringing in any exotic problems. And if it's mature and raised free range it will already know what to do to keep your girls safe from the threats in your area. It will also have better manners than a young roo, who your pullets might view as more threatening than an unseen predator and thus a young roo could have the opposite effect to the one you're seeking.

If I were you, given what you want the roo to do, I would look for someone local with a mature roo looking for a new home. If it's local and mature it's probably already immune to the pests and diseases local to your area, so it's less likely to be bringing in any exotic problems. And if it's mature and raised free range it will already know what to do to keep your girls safe from the threats in your area. It will also have better manners than a young roo, who your pullets might view as more threatening than an unseen predator and thus a young roo could have the opposite effect to the one you're seeking.
If I get an older roo, will he want to mate with these girls who are just 9 weeks? Serious question are they too young for that? Also, how old is “mature”?

Yes. They will not accept being mated. A mature rooster should hypothetically know that and not engage. Depending on breed, a male reaches maturity between 1 and 2 years old. Brahma are slower to mature, usually

If I get an older roo, will he want to mate with these girls who are just 9 weeks? Serious question are they too young for that? Also, how old is “mature”?
If he is mature - by which I mean at least 1 year old - he will not try to mate them until he knows (instinctively) that they are close to laying, which varies by breed but the Brahma is one of the slowest I believe. He may assert his dominance, but he won't have the raging hormones of a teenager.

If you ask to see any potential roo you're thinking of taking in - and there are always people happy to see one of their surplus roos go to a new home and flock of their own - in its existing environment, with its current flock, you will be able to see immediately whether the bird in question behaves in the way you would want. If you're lucky you might even be able to find a Brahma breeder in your area who has a top quality 'spent' roo (i.e. done their year's service, no longer required for the breeding program).

I only have few experiences with cockerels and if you are lucky he will be okay. Sometimes they are unpredictable and there focus can be on mating rather than caring.

From reading from others I would try to get a mature rooster as Perris and Donette say. People with a hart for chickens who have too many roos often offer them for free where I live.
If you don’t intent to breed with them to sell , you can buy any breed you like that fits in. Best about the same size or a bit bigger as your hens will be in a few weeks.

Maybe a few weeks in quarantine is not a bad idea if you don’t trust the seller for 100%. Always ask for health issues.

Last edited:
If he is mature - by which I mean at least 1 year old - he will not try to mate them until he knows (instinctively) that they are close to laying, which varies by breed but the Brahma is one of the slowest I believe. He may assert his dominance, but he won't have the raging hormones of a teenager.

If you ask to see any potential roo you're thinking of taking in - and there are always people happy to see one of their surplus roos go to a new home and flock of their own - in its existing environment, with its current flock, you will be able to see immediately whether the bird in question behaves in the way you would want. If you're lucky you might even be able to find a Brahma breeder in your area who has a top quality 'spent' roo (i.e. done their year's service, no longer required for the breeding program).
Thanks for this! I followed your advice and contacted a local hatchery. He has several for me to look at this weekend. They range from 6 months to 2 years. I love the looks of the 6 months, but the 2yr sounds like he already has great skill at tending to his flock. Great advice, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom