what kind of rooster do you think he is?

I'd say they are Dutch Bantams. You can look on Ideal's website. I would be surprised if they have Andalusian bantams.

By all means, let your son show them. You can learn a lot and enjoy it even if your chickens don't win anything.

i think i agree after some more looking at different hatchery sites and photos i think they are splash dutch or blue as some call them bantams.

ok so how would i distinguish between the two breeds to decide for sure which one they are im wanting to show them at the ft worth stock show next year so i need to know for sure what breed they are. i do agree after some more looking that they are either splash dutch or adnalu. thanks for the input
Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to distinguish between the two breeds, especially with hatchery quality stock--the two breeds just look so similar. With purebred Dutch Bantams, body type and coloring is more obvious in comparison to Andalusians, but hatchery Dutch are rarely purebred (usually have old english game, leghorn, or even andalusian crossed in). If I had to go with on breed, though, I would say Splash Andalusian, as those are more common.

It might be a good idea to enter some better quality birds at the show, though. The red leakage is a serious defect on Splash birds of any breed. Also,the Splash variety of Andalusian isn't recognized by the American Poultry Association, and therefore can't be shown without being disqualified.

Still, if all you want is to give your son some fun experience, go ahead. Poultry shows are wonderful places to learn and enjoy yourself, no matter what type of bird you have.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom