What kind of sand?

72elizabeth

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Northern FL
Hi everyone, So many suggest sand in the run. What kind a sand? There's play sand, mason and concrete. I live in Northern Fl and the ground is a mix of sand and dirt, (I think). I have an open run with a tarp over it. The run is 8x20x6ft high. The duck share the run with the guineas, they have separate sides. They free range all day and are lock in their run at night. I've been hosing down the run everyday, but the ground can take just so much water. As you know the ducks are really messy. I'd like to order a truck load of sand but don't know what kind. Any advise would be help full.

I have been using play sand. Its $ 3.00 a bag & one bag doesn't do much. Next time I'm gonna use construction sand recommended by members of BYC. I haven't priced it yet but I would bet its a better buy.

I use all purpose sand in bags from Lowes. But my experience has been all sand isn't alike, even all sand marked "all purpose." I bought a bag of All Purpose sand from Home Depot, and it was much finer...far too fine. When it rained, this sand clumped and stuck together like concrete! Fortunately I hadn't spread it in the run yet or I would have had to dig it out.

I think what works best is sand that's coarse enough not to clump.

River sand is what I am using...got it from a landscape contract company that sells sand, rocks, etc. River sand does not clump when it gets wet and it contains small pebbles for grit.

Thanks everyone. I went back into the archives on sand and learned a lot. The people in town have mason and concrete sand. I'll make sure it doesn't contain silica. Play sand at Lowe's is $2.86 a 50lb bag. I need at least a yard of sand, that about 2500lbs, OOOOh my poor back. I can have it delivered, but they will only deliver 4yds. It's still cheaper than the bags (and easier). I'm glad I found out about this silica, I have asthma.

Hi, did a little more research on the sand. Play sand, mason and all the rest has silica in it. Ca has warning labels on it. Not good to inhale, can cause lung cancer. You need to wear a mask when putting it down. What about the ducks, there're locked up in an open pen from nite 'till dawn. There're breathing it for a longer period of time. Am I being to fussy? Any suggestions?

I go to the sand and gravel place and get the biggest grain sand I can find. Most of the time it is white beach sand. With big sand, it fall off the chickens easier when they bathe, and it's easier to keep clean. My run is 8x40' and 3-4" of sand. Love it. If I just need a small refill, I get play sand from Home depot because it's big sand, and cleaned.

I have mine delivered to me in 2 tons worth for $70 does all my coops and last for a long time. It is alot cheaper than buying at lowes. I just cal a gravel company near me and go with the cheapest quote.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom