what kind of snake am I?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hunterjumper999, Aug 23, 2010.

1. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

please no comments about the tractor wire- they are 2 years old and this is the first snake.

2. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    It looks like a gray rat snake. [​IMG]

3. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    don't know what kind he is but he is sure pretty...I had a rat snake hanging in the rafters, which are kind of low, in the coop this a.m. when I went to collect duck eggs...I reached up and touched his butt and it was comical...he whirled around and looked at me eye ball to eye ball and you could almost hear him say, "Eeeeewe! you TOUCHED me!" We had a momentary stare off and I went about my business...the mice are plentiful and he has a job...

4. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. chickswithchickens

chickswithchickens New Egg

Apr 9, 2010
    AHHHHHH it looks like a rat snake. snakes are awesome:D. but then again they eat my chickens...[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  6. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Looks like she's digesting a few mice right there in that pic. She's got a belly full. Good job

7. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    they are not mice. they are my Black Orpingtons I hatched out of my B/B/S line to start a winter project [​IMG] . did he eat the 3 week younger EE chicks, no. he ate the giant orpington almost month old chicks!

he was beautiful bu knew where the buffet was so he had to go.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope it's just digesting mice, are you missing any chicks??

9. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Yuck...when I had the black snake in the garden and then the next week another snake in my garage I looked up 'snakes in Arkansas' online. I really am not just a snake killer....however, the day one was heading right to my chicken coop door I had no problem killing it...then screaming for my DH to come and get it for me!! BUT, at least I had educated myself on posinous snakes in my area.....and recognized it to be a Copperhead right before I offed with its head. I am not sure I would not dispatch a black snake the same way if it got in with my chickens and they were laying. I understand they eat mice and rats, however, an egg that holds still and does not run away would be a much easier meal.

They scare the heck out of me no matter what kind of snake they are!!

10. CubRed

CubRed Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    if it were my bitties..the thread would read...can you ID the snake pieces...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by