What kind of snake is this?

There isn't a single characteristic that differentiates a venomous from non-venomous snake.
The good thing is that there are so few venomous snakes in the US compared to the 50+ species of non-venomous snakes they are easily identifiable.

Most of them are rattlesnakes the rest are copperhead, cottonmouth and coral.

The venoms of copperheads and pygmy rattlesnakes are relative mild and rarely deadly.

Last edited:
Now, Bruce...You've opened a can of worms. I mean, snakes. But I don't tolerate black snakes in the coop, or copperheads under my water spigot. i try to catch and give the black snakes away to those without chickens.

I can’t tell from your picture, because I’m on my phone, but almost all non poisonous snakes have round pupils while poisonous ones have oblong slit like pupils. Of course I’m not getting close enough to check that out! I usually just look at the shape of the head. Yours definitely looks non venomous to me. Here’s a pic of a nonpoisonous snake eating my eggs, you can see the round pupil
View attachment 1757148
HEART ATTACK, PARTY OF ONE!! NOT something that I EVER want to see in person!!

Now, Bruce...You've opened a can of worms. I mean, snakes. But I don't tolerate black snakes in the coop, or copperheads under my water spigot. i try to catch and give the black snakes away to those without chickens.
I lost the pictures when my phone died but I had at least 2 big black snakes in my coops last summer. I don't have a problem with that as long as the eggs are collected. They only harm they can do is to rodents and that isn't a problem.

There isn't a single characteristic that differentiates a venomous from non-venomous snake.
The good thing is that there are so few venomous snakes in the US compared to the 50+ species of non-venomous snakes they are easily identifiable.

Most of them are rattlesnakes the rest are copperhead, cottonmouth and coral.

The venoms of copperheads and pygmy rattlesnakes are relative mild and rarely deadly.

Except for the coral snake (who is only found in the extreme southern US) every other poisonous snake in the continental US is a pit viper (water moccasin/cottonmouth, copperhead, and rattlesnake). If you've ever seen the triangular head of a pit viper, it's easy to spot a poisonous snake by one quick look of the head.

Rattlesnakes are the most deadly, but will usually retreat instead of strike. Copperheads usually give a "dry bite" or inject very little venom, saving it for something they can actually eat. Cottonmouths are the most aggressive and will stand their ground, but have a weaker venom than others. Coral snakes actually have the second most potent venom in the world (second only to the black momba), but they have small fangs and have to actually chew on you to inject much venom.

Except for the coral snake (who is only found in the extreme southern US) every other poisonous snake in the continental US is a pit viper (water moccasin/cottonmouth, copperhead, and rattlesnake). If you've ever seen the triangular head of a pit viper, it's easy to spot a poisonous snake by one quick look of the head.

Rattlesnakes are the most deadly, but will usually retreat instead of strike. Copperheads usually give a "dry bite" or inject very little venom, saving it for something they can actually eat. Cottonmouths are the most aggressive and will stand their ground, but have a weaker venom than others. Coral snakes actually have the second most potent venom in the world (second only to the black momba), but they have small fangs and have to actually chew on you to inject much venom.
While it is true that pit vipers have prominently triangular heads, I wouldn't continue that myth that it is the sure means of identification. That's because most snakes have triangular heads and that will have people killing a lot of non-poisonous snakes because they can't properly identify the snakes in their environs. There are always exceptions to the rule.
http://www.wildlife-removal.com/snakepoisonous.html
Growing up on a farm in Southern Missouri, I frequently encountered Timber, Pygmy and Massasauga rattlers as well as Cottonmouths and more Copperheads than I could count.

Apparently the black buzzard, or black vulture, is getting in on this livestock-killing action as well, since about 2016 in the MO Ozarks. They seem to go after newborn calves in particular, an especially expensive loss for a rancher, considering an adult bull can bring upwards of $2,500. But readers are cautioned that the bird is protected and may only be shot by hunters holding a permit. Anyone wanting more info is urged to contact the Mo Wildlife Conservation Dept. wildlife biologist.

Source: https://www.ozarksfirst.com/news/a-...ltures-attack-on-cattle-farmers-in-the-ozarks

While it is true that pit vipers have prominently triangular heads, I wouldn't continue that myth that it is the sure means of identification. That's because most snakes have triangular heads and that will have people killing a lot of non-poisonous snakes because they can't properly identify the snakes in their environs. There are always exceptions to the rule.
http://www.wildlife-removal.com/snakepoisonous.html
Growing up on a farm in Southern Missouri, I frequently encountered Timber, Pygmy and Massasauga rattlers as well as Cottonmouths and more Copperheads than I could count.

Yes, while it is true that most snakes have triangular heads, there is no mistaking the head of a pit viper once you see one to compare with other snakes. Of course the colors have to also match up with known poisonous snakes, but most people won't get close enough to see the eyes and the tails are hard to tell by. If I have to get close enough to a snake to look at the eyes to tell if it's poisonous, I'm going to have to shoot first and ask questions later.

Around here, we have a harmless brown water snake they people often confuse with a copperhead. Their coloration is very similar to a copperhead, but they don't have the pit viper head, and you don't normally see copperheads in water. There is also a black water snake that people will confuse with a cottonmouth, again, to the untrained eye the pattern looks very similar, but they don't have the pit viper head.

There is also the Dekays snake that people mistake for baby copperheads (dekays rarely get over 12" long), but baby copperheads will almost always have yellow tail.

Back
Top Bottom