What kind of snake is this?

Yellow-bellied Kingsnake Lampropeltis calligaster. Probably got run over by a car on the road. Too bad. They are good snakes.
Googled it and that's what it looks like!
20190429_150041.jpg

There are water snakes that mimic copperheads, but the ones I used to be afraid of were less distinctly patterned, and had an olive tinge. There are maybe others, though. I'm thinking corn snake.

Absolutely, positively NOT any type of poisonous snake. Could be a Bull snake though the ones I have kept were of a different color pattern. Do you remember what the belly looked like? Solid colored? Checkerboard pattern?
Yellow Bellied Kings have different shades of color depending on the region. Some people thing they are 3 different species. Gopher snakes coloring and markings change dramatically near the end of the tail. I don't think it's one of those because the pattern of spots is different.

I can’t tell from your picture, because I’m on my phone, but almost all non poisonous snakes have round pupils while poisonous ones have oblong slit like pupils. Of course I’m not getting close enough to check that out! I usually just look at the shape of the head. Yours definitely looks non venomous to me. Here’s a pic of a nonpoisonous snake eating my eggs, you can see the round pupil
1C02F8AB-8251-4B53-8C49-BDE04CB35BED.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom