What kind of superstitions or maybe "words of wisdom did you grow up

EllyMae

Songster
11 Years
Apr 13, 2008
The South Mountains of NC
with and still find yourself living by them.

I'll start:
Being of Appalachian heritage, I could probably write a book about this, but I know people from different regions all had certain words of wisdom they lived by due to culture/ethnic influence. Here a few of mine...
1. Don't tell your bad dream from last night before you eat breakfast or it will come true. Called "Puttin' your dream out" by my Grandma.
2. If the undersides of the leaves on trees are visible without actually turning them over with you hand(like when the wind is blowing), then it's going to rain.
3. If you hear thunder on a winter day, then it will snow the next day.
4. If a bird flies against a window pane, there will be a death in the family.

2. If the undersides of the leaves on trees are visible without actually turning them over with you hand(like when the wind is blowing), then it's going to rain.

Yep. Usually means a storm is coming.

Em​

Well let's see, my father was a 99% pure Cherokee Indian, my mom is 1/2 Welsh and 1/2 German,, do we have superstitions? LOL!!! Oh yeah and I live on the Mexican Border,, I'm surrounded by superstitions.
If you let a black cat on the bed of a sick person they will die.
If you let a cat near a baby it will steal their breath.
If you see an eclipse while pregnant you will have a baby with severe birth defects.
If you see a strange man before you see your family when you wake up you will marry him.
If you see a black dog at night someone will die.
If a dog howls three times someone has died.
Never hang a horse shoe over the door with the ends pointing down or all your luck will run out.
If a bumble bee flies into your home put out sugar water for it and you'll have good luck. If you kill it someone close to you will die.
Tie a dead bug around your neck to stop coughing or hiccups.
When the mesquite bushes bud Winter is over.
Don't go near the river at night or La Llorrona will get you.
If the first calf, colt, chicken, etc. born at the beginning of Winter is white it will be a very bad Winter.
If you don't do what your parents tell you to do El Cucui will get you and take you to his cave in the mountains!
If you have blue sheets on your bed during your honeymoon your sexual relations during marriage will be good. (ha ha ha,,,,, yeah right)
My personal favorite from my Welsh Grandad:
If a single girl knocks on the hen house Christmas Eve and the rooster crows, she'll be married during the coming year.
I used to refuse to get the eggs on Christmas eve!!

Last edited:
Those are great!
I have a great aunt who doesn't like cats and says they shouldn't be allowed in the house. She had it in her head they would suck her breath away from her while she slept.

Sing before breakfast, cry before supper.
Worrying borrows trouble.
If your left hand itches, someone will cross it with money.
If you drop your fork, company's coming.

Oh my, I grew up with a really superstition mother, aunts and grandmother. I have heard 100's of these:
* If you see a turtle crossing the road and is going up the hill, there will be lots of rain.
* Don't let MotherNature fool you, winter is only over if the dogwoods, deep in the forest are blooming.
* cresent moon with the 'tips' pointed up is 'holding rain' --meaning no rain--IF the 'tips' are pointed down it will rain soon.
* the cat stealing the baby's breath or smothering it.
* can't sweep dirt out the front/back door--or you will sweep out your money
* ticking a baby's feet will make him studder.
* bird in the house, someone is dying.
* white calf--good luck
* the plant Wondering Jew (I don't know the real name for it) is bad luck - causes every known family trouble from cheating, sickness, birth defects to death.
* the garden would not produce if it wasn't planted on Good Friday
* dream of someone dead and they will be dead before the days end.
I could go on and on...Dixie

I grew up in the city and have never heard of any of those, but I will offer neither a superstition nor a myth but a 100% true fact that is un-refuted :

If a male owns a cat and is not married he is personally challenged and drinks evian.

edited for for political correctness, also for those that didn't know evian backwards is naive ...
sorry for any confusion, I thought I was keeping with the levity of the original post.

etcetcetcia 8:23:45

Last edited:
Mostly from my mamaw.

To get rid of a sty, stand on a busy corner and say 'sty, sty get out of my eye; get on the next person who passes by.'

And to get rid of warts, have someone buy them from you for a penny each. Your warts will go away, and the other person will not become afflicted.

For each time it thunders in February, it will frost in October.

When you can pick 100 miniature daisies, it is finally spring. (It's possible she told me this just to keep me out of her hair for a while looking for dasies. lol)

Sweeping under a young girls feet will cause her to never marry.

Sweeping a baby on the back will make encourage him to start walking.

Cassandra

gosh being from appalachia we have lots
* if you spill salt throw some over your right shoulder or it's bad luck
*if you have a sty in your eye you must have peed in the road
*if a black cat crosses your path its bad luck
* cats will take away a babies breath
*if the underside of leaves are showing then rain is on the way
*if it rains on Monday it will rain 3 more days that week
*red sky in the morning bad weather approaching red sky at night good weather
*if it thunders in Feb it will frost on the same day in May
*here's one for us chicken people , lol, it used to worry me...if it thunders while the hen is setting her eggs won't hatch
*an owl flying into the house is sure sign someone is going to die
*my aunt used to buy our hiccups from us
*my papaw used to blow on warts and they would go away
* and here too...tips of cresent moon are up it's holding rain if down it's pouring it out
*and here too....turtles crossing road to the hillside lots of rain on it's way

I'm sure lots more will come to me

Back
Top Bottom