What kind of thermometer do you use?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TillinWithMyPeeps, Jan 24, 2010.

1. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    The cheap thermometer that came with my hovabator broke, and I need to get a new one. What kind of thermometer do you use? Where did you buy it?

2. ljf24

ljf24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    TN
    at walmart i found one for like $6 that was electronic. it had the temperature and a humidy on it.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    For my 1588 I have 3.

All three are thermometer/hygrometer combos.

I got two of them from Radio Shack, one from Walmart.

The $25 one from Radio Shack worked the best and I felt was the most accurate although I never tested it.

4. topeka

topeka Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    I wasn't happy with Walmart Hygrometer/ thermometer combo........ temp off by several degrees, hygrometer off by 7points
    bought a Brinsea Spot Check very fast very accurate probe type.

5. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    Quote:the spot check comes highly recomended by speckeld hen. ( byc moderator) i have one on order cant wait for it to get here

6. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I have two Brinsea Spot Checks and want to get another for my third machine, they are very accurate. Brinsea told me it is safe to put the whole unit in the machine if you don't have a probe hole, just be sure the probe isn't touching anything up to the spot where it would stop if inserted into a probe hole.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Spot Check by Brinsea (if distributed by GQF, it's called Egg-Temp). It measures each tenth of a degree as it happens so you know the true range of the air temperature. It has a pinpoint accuracy rating and if you look on the package of any household thermometer, you'll see no accuracy rating (you'll see a temp range, but that has nothing to do with accuracy).
    [​IMG]

8. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    Is the Spot Check hygrometer and therometer?

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, it is only a thermometer, but the temp is far more important than humidity. You can get any cheap hygrometer and calibrate it, though.

10. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    Thank you. [​IMG] I have the web site form the last time you gave it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by