What kind of turkey

He or all 3 hens are obviously having some major problems. We've tossed over 20 eggs that have shown no growth after 14 days
sad.png
. And we've gone through 4 bags of feed in the past 2 weeks, plus table scraps and free ranging.

Last edited:
Wow MP! Those are some huge turkeys! And I thought the 40 some odd pound BBB tom a kid had at fair last year was big. The kid's turkeys are about 2 1/2 months old when they are taken to fair.

Please clarify something for me (another newbie)...

Isn't the reason BB turkeys can't naturally mate is because they are so huge, not because they are sterile? I mean, you can use AI with them, right?

The reason I asked is the word "sterile" pops up a couple of times in this thread, and I would like to have it clarified.

Quote:
Yes you are correct - the very shape of the tom's huge breast won't allow him to get into the proper position for mating. plus the weight would more than likely injure the hens.

Steve in NC

Okay. Thanks for clarifying. I was starting to wonder how one duplicates them if they are all sterile... perhaps they are clones.
wink.png

Quote:
Yes you are correct - the very shape of the tom's huge breast won't allow him to get into the proper position for mating. plus the weight would more than likely injure the hens.

Steve in NC

Okay. Thanks for clarifying. I was starting to wonder how one duplicates them if they are all sterile... perhaps they are clones.
wink.png

There are quite a few turkey houses in our area. I have seen the AI process start to finish, from "milking the tom" to inseminating the hen.
What a creepy job. lol

Steve

Back
Top Bottom