What kind of wild bird is this?

ruth

Life is a Journey
12 Years
Jul 8, 2007
Woodville, MS
Wondering if anyone knows what kind of bird this is. It flew into our window and luckily was only stunned for awhile and then flew off to live another day. It was so beautiful. It's not a Blue Bird because it was blue all over and didn't have the orange chest. Birds flying into the floor-to-ceiling windows of our sun room are a daily problem. I dread hearing that "thud". It's usually Cardinals for some reason that fly into it. I'm guessing I'll have to get some sort of stick ons and put on glass but not sure it will help. The wall of the sun room is mostly mirror so when seen from outside, from a bird's eye view, the mirror reflects the outside trees and flowers and there's no way to tell where it ends.

bluebird2.jpg

bluebird1.jpg

Quote:
Wow, really, thanks - now I can go look that up. Makes it a lot easier to look up. I have never in my life seen one and it was so tiny and beautiful Indigo blue - name makes sense.

Now I can try and learn about them and maybe put out the right kind of feed and bird houses.

Ruth, you are lucky to have such a gorgeous bird in your area, and so close to your house.

For the future, there are little almost invisible (to the human eye) stickers of hawks that you can stick to the window to deter more bird strikes. If you're interested, I can look up some sources for you.

It's always the most beautiful, rare birds that get killed by windows, never starlings or cowbirds!

He was just so beautiful and I sat there praying that he would recover and fly off. He did, thank you Lord for answered prayers.

I looked up Indigo Bunting and looks like they migrate at night using the stars - how cool. Also said they liked abandoned areas - well this was an old plantation home and has been abandoned for many years. Surrounded by the original 10,000 acres of woods. I hope there are many more of this bird around. But like I said, I've never heard of them nor seen one in my life.

I will try and find some stickers to put on glass. I cleaned the filthy/molded windows when I moved in and that's when the problems started. Now I'm letting them go dirty again.

Quote:
That sounds like as good an excuse as any to not wash windows! I'm going to try that one.

They say it's the reflection of a bird in the window that they are going after and not that they thought they could fly through it.

Back
Top Bottom