What kind of winter do you think we'll have, and the signs of it?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChickaD, Sep 15, 2008.

1. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    I vote for cold winter...two weeks ago I saw geese flying south (early!) and today I saw blackbirds flocking together, step one for their migration. Some of our trees starting turning red in September, and even dropping leaves, which is jumping the gun a bit.

I don't suppose this entitles me to have some ice cream - you know, to stock up on the carbs for a long winter? [​IMG]

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    We've got the signs of a LONG COLD winter here... more so than usual.
    The fireweed was bloomed out before the end of August, and the migratory birds are already taking wing.

3. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    [​IMG]

Our grass turns brown, but that's pretty much it. Most of the time you'd never even know winter had come and gone . . . which is exactly how I like it [​IMG] If it gets terribly cold here, I'll be surprised.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  4. ChickaD

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    If it gets too balmy there, let me be the first to offer to mail you a box of snow! [​IMG]

5. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    I think were in for a pretty bad winter, but i hope we do get blizzards, we are going to get an early winter too, but i cant wait, we just moved into a new house, with a huge yard, and woods. cant wait to see. [​IMG]

6. skyfires

skyfires Trying to hide

Jul 19, 2008
    The Ozarks of Arkansas
    I think it will be bad here. All the 'oldtimers' are saying so. The cherry trees have dropped their leaves early. They say thats a sure sign of a harsh winter. So we are working on wood cutting and other preps ahead of time. Arkansas is famous for it's ice storms. I'm not looking forward to it,,,, [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ChickaD

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    IMO, ice is worse than snow...we've been getting far more ice/sleet the last few years. Maybe that's what we get for complaining about snow! [​IMG]

8. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I think its going to be a tough one. We have been seeing the geese going south for quite a while now and I was thinking how early it was for that. Maybe they know something we dont!

9. ChickaD

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    I suspect it's the geese's way of getting out of stacking firewood! [​IMG]

10. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:I we were saying the same thing here, and the leaves also started falling about 2 or 3 weeks ago. [​IMG]
    oh im in mass

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by