what kind of worm is this?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sonomachicks, Jan 9, 2011.

  1. sonomachicks

    sonomachicks Out Of The Brooder

    Jan 5, 2011

    I've got a lot of those worms in my compost box. They are white and translucent, with brownish red head and brown legs and often curls up like a button. Does any one knows what kind of worm it is? I assume they are not good for the garden, so I feed them to the chickens, and the chickens love it.
  2. TriciaHowe

    TriciaHowe Mother Hen

    Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Looks like a beetle grub of some sort....Your right though, probably not good for the garden, but great for chickens [​IMG]

    ETA I looked up pictures for beetle grubs and it looks a lot like a scarab beetle grub....."White grubs, Grubworms or Curl grubs are the larvae of scarabs. Grubs commonly attack the roots of turfgrasses and ornamental plants. Damage first appears as drought stress such as wilting and drooping."
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  3. pokey

    pokey Warrior Princess

    Jun 1, 2008
    Japanese beetle grub
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  4. Frosty

    Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 30, 2008
    Don't think Japanese Beetle grub, I think the regular lawn grubs (probably like the first reply said). I find them all through my compost, and we don't have Japanese Beetles here that I know of. When I was working in the garden I was tossing them into a container intending to take them to the chickens, then I looked over and the Robins were stealing them all. I let them have the rest [​IMG]
  5. Tuffoldhen

    Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

    Jan 30, 2007
    I'm with Frosty, lawn grub!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by