What kinda crushed pepper do I give them for the "increased laying"?

Ok so far no one has answered my question.... HOW MUCH of the pepper from the pic on the first post can I give them?

Quote:
It doesn't matter, Maxx. They won't overdose on it. I dump a bottle of it in a bag of feed. I also dump in bottles of other spices, too .... cinnamon, ALL kinds of pepper... black and red pepper, garlic (not garlic SALT), ginger, thyme, curry- turmeric, etc. You can google each spice and read of the benefits (also the benefits of wheat germ and Virgin Olive Oil). When I mix my feed, I take a 5 gallon bucket and put in commercial feed. I add wheat germ oil (or Virgin Olive Oil) to coat it, and then I add a bunch of spices. The spices then stick to the moistened feed. Add cranberries, walnuts, almonds, etc .... they love it all, and it is sooooo healthy for them! Google each one and read the nutritional value these have. Amazing!

Anyway, back to the pepper ..... well, it increases circulation and .... well, just look here....

http://www.cayennepepper.info/health-benefits-of-cayenne-pepper.html

You mentioned feeding scratch, in your other thread. Think of scratch as candy. It should be limited to less than 10% of the diet, preferably 5%.

Good luck, Maxx. By the way .... nice to see ya back.
smile.png
Take care!

Kathyinmo, great feed info!! Thanks so much.

It's fun to research stuff on the internet and Google makes it sooo easy.

That cayenne link is impressive. It gives a whole new purpose for eating spicy food.

Last edited:
Yes, that is fascinating! I wonder if the same is true for other hot peppers, or if it is just the Cayenne. I'll have to look into that. I dry my own chili peppers every year for a chili powder, but I didn't start giving any to the chickens till yesterday when I read this. I grew Cayenne last year, but didn't dry it because it was so hot. I'll have to rethink that now.

Quote:
Sounds like somebody played a trick on you and added an egg. Would someone do that?

Seriously does this really work? I haven't had an egg out of my coop in about 1 1/2 months maybe more. I've got a whole lot of everything going on. Not enough light (changed that added a couple extra hours) molting not just a little either it seem like once one got done another started. Girls that are ranging from 6 months to almost 2 yrs. I'm willing to try anything at this point. I had to buy eggs over the holidays and let me tell you, Sunny Farms has the worst eggs I've seen in along time. Store bought eggs YUCK.

Quote:
Sounds like somebody played a trick on you and added an egg. Would someone do that?

Nope! It just means that one of my pullets became a hen that day!
smile.png

How many have you been getting from your 9 hens before the pepper? I added some to my feed tonight. We will see what happens in a couple of days!

Quote:
Nope! It just means that one of my pullets became a hen that day!
smile.png

How many have you been getting from your 9 hens before the pepper? I added some to my feed tonight. We will see what happens in a couple of days!

The day before I got 3... and the day before 7. It's been storming really badly here lately so the rain has affected laying... but I was getting about one a day from the araucanas/leghorns and one every other day from the Australorps/Naked Neck. Now I'm getting the new brown leghorn's and one of the new Australorps. 11 now!! (another laid her first today! different breed!)

Back
Top Bottom