What kinda fencing should I use

D100putz88

Chirping
Apr 20, 2021
Fluvanna county, Virginia
Hey yall, I’m Derek and I love in central Virginia. I have a 2 coops attached to each side of the run. However on the new run that’s under the new coop I fenced it in with 2x4 welded type of wire. The chickens are 17 weeks old and can’t get through them. I just didn’t know if I should use some chicken wire behind it to keep smaller things out. I would have used hardware wire but it’s super expensive. What’s circled in red is the new part with just the welded wire. I used fencing staples in. Lemme know what y’all thing.

Welcome to BYC. Your photos didn't show up, you might have to try again.

Half-inch hardware cloth certainly is pricey, but it's the only thing that will keep out rats, mice, and, in my area, weasels.

Attachments

• 23E2D8E6-8CB5-44A6-A99A-7FC50E5E3587.jpeg
    23E2D8E6-8CB5-44A6-A99A-7FC50E5E3587.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Weasels are in Madison. About an hour away. Haven’t seen any. We only have white foot mice. They normally bypass the coop and mess with me in my house. 🙄 I just didn’t know if the chicken wire would help with all that or if it had to be hardware cloth

As a general rule, the only thing that chicken wire keeps in or out is chickens. :(

Weasels are in Madison. About an hour away. Haven’t seen any. We only have white foot mice. They normally bypass the coop and mess with me in my house. 🙄 I just didn’t know if the chicken wire would help with all that or if it had to be hardware cloth
I have only 2 x 4 inch WW on my 12 x 20 foot run. Birds stay in a secure coop at night and the only daytime predators, other than airborne, are stray dogs. Feeder is rodent proof and stays in the coop 24/7. So far I haven't had any problems since there is no feed in the run other than a small amount of scratch that the birds might miss during the day.

Do you have raccoons? They will stick their front legs in and pull a chicken through, or as much of the chicken as they can get through the holes. How about snakes? Snakes love eggs! I think a skunk might fit through your welded wire as well. They're very fond of both eggs and chicken. Just about everything that eats meat loves chicken. Good luck, and welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom