what kinda gun

Quote:
Careful googling "hunting cougar"
roll.png
- you will find a couple of categories of information there, one of which is NOT safe for work or small children.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/dangerous_NA_game.htm
"Cougar are faster, tougher, and stronger than deer, but not much larger. So it stands to reason that any respectable deer rifle should also prove satisfactory for hunting cougar. Leaving aside the marginal deer calibers, including handgun cartridges adapted to rifles, the list of suitable cougar cartridges reads much like the list of black bear cartridges mentioned above. Because cougar do not attain the size of large black bears, the medium bore magnums need not be employed. Calibers such as the 6.5x55, .260 Remington, .270 Winchester, .280 Remington, .30-30, .300 Savage, .303 British, .308 Winchester, .30-06, .32 Special, .35 Remington, and .358 Winchester are all that is required."

As others said, take a safety course first. Go shopping and look at different rifles. Get an idea of the weight of them. Here's the criteria I would recommend keeping in mind:

Mechanically simple/rugged
Easy to clean
comfortable to shoot
good open sights

I think a lever-action 30-30 without a scope would be a good choice for you. The bullet is powerful enough to put down a larger animal (not great for hunting elk and way too small for moose) and it's not overly powerful. Auto-loading rifles are more complex internally than lever or bolt actions. With a bit of practice you can cycle a bolt action pretty quickly for a second shot, and levers are even quicker.

You can also get lever action rifles in .38/.357 (pistol bullets). That would be powerful enough and a lot cheaper to practice with, plus you can get a pistol that takes the same ammo. The kick will be more manageable than larger rifle bullets. The rifles are not as cheap and plentiful as the 30-30, though.

I have a .30-06 bolt-action with a nice scope - a pawn-shop special. The caliber was designed for military use, and it kicks hard. Left bruises on my buddy's shoulder last weekend.

I'm recommending open sights for you for this reason: A cougar is going to be dangerous to you and yours at a closer distance. A scope is great, but you need to have it zero'd for the distance you're shooting at, and know how to compensate for rise/fall at different ranges. Once the scope is set to zero, it's a bit delicate - you don't want to bonk it out of adjustment. Spend the price of a scope on practice ammo.

In the Army we train to shoot with iron sights out to 300m (almost 1000'). Target acquisition is faster than with a scope. Measure out your land and get an idea of some of the distances you might have to shoot at, and practice hitting paper-plate sized targets at those distances. If you can hit a paper plate consistently, you should be fine.

Keep in mind that cougar is a game animal. If you shoot one to protect your family, make sure you call your local fish-and-game department right away and report it. They'll probably be mad at you, but not reporting it will cost you a LOT when they find out.

In fact, you should call them and find out if the cougar could be relocated.

I have not read anyone recommending pepper spray yet. It doesn't require a marksman to operate and is effective against all kinds of attacks.

For some animals such as bears, a gunshot outside of the central nervous system won't stop it in mid-charge but a squirt of pepper spray (or bear spray - no different just more concentrated) will. They feel it more quickly than a gunshot.

Don't use a gun until you take a hunter safety course and go to the range to practice. Without knowing how to use it properly, it will be useless or worse.

Once you decide to buy a gun, buy either a deer rifle caliber for long range work or a 12ga with 00 buckshot for close in protection. With the shotgun, I would also get an after market 18" barrel to make it more portable.

OH SHOOT! Don't do the pepperspray. I come from a law enforcement family, and one of the things they teach you is how to not end up in a quivering ball when hit with mace or pepperspray. If a couple drops splash on you, which undoubtedly will when operating at a 15 ft range, youu might turn into a sobbing fetal position.

I dont know you, but I dont like the feeling of not being able to open my eyes, and I would guess the bear thinks the same thing !
lol.png

PS Dont believe me if you dont want to. Just look up pepperspray for proof!!!!

I've never used pepper spray. What Whiteconfections (yummy!) said sounds sincere. If you get some, try it outside far from animals and people and see if you get blinded. Don't forget to factor in wind. Your predator is not always down-wind of you. Update us with the results. I'm intrigued. Oh, and it's not a good thing to have younger siblings use. Very scared kids can accidentally get themselves in the face despite their best efforts. Fear makes your hands not work so well.

Quote:
I have a Winchester 30-30 and it's my favorite of the guns recommended by Rocketdad. I wouldn't be shooting it in the city unlesss....well we won't go into gorey "what if" scenarios.
I really like the lever action. It holds 6 rounds, 7 if you chamber one first - and yes you can really crank em out if you had to.
I deer hunt so I have a scope on mine, but they're kinda awkward on lever action guns anyway (mounted kinda to the side, or with a big gap under them for the shell eject)
I also think you'd probably be better off without a scope.

This is the kind of gun that you probably don't want to shoot a hundred times over the same day, so you will need lots of practice spread out over some time. It's not like you're gonna become a hunter overnight, especially not a big cat hunter.
I think you might be better off working on your aim with easier guns first. I shot my first deer with the Win 30-30 and it was my 3rd time to shoot the gun, but I've been shooting since I was 12. I could at the time shoot a moving coke bottle cap with a .22 from my hips (might be a bit rusty now). You can practice your sights all day long on a .22 for cheap and it won't kill your shoulder or your ears. THEN you can work on the big guns.

The official position held by the Arkansas game and fish is that cougers do not live in the state. Well I know a guy who saw one on his deer hunting property, and I've seen tracks. IF I were to hunt one I wouldn't even bother to call and report an animal that they say doesn't exist here. SO - Check with your local game regulatory officials.

The fish and game know all about it. It was by one of the elemantrey schools yesterday ( all my brothers are homeschooled) we live about a mile or two away. . The have not set traps, gone on stake outs or anything like that.

Well I guess I'll be the one to leave smart remark ( not to offend anyone...just to tell everyone how redneck I am ) . We have ummm...numerous guns at our house ....short range...a 9mm works good , AP9 , 357/.38 , oozie , 30/30 , 30/06 , 270 , I wouldn't go too much smaller on rifles . .357 is a very good hand gun....you can shoot .38's and 357's out of it , and if you're a lady , the SM ladysmith 2 1/4" barrel fits very nice . We have lots of cougars up here.....It seems as if I never sleep between the bears , coyotes , cougars , skunks , and badgers ! Close shots are hand guns....20 yards are rifles . Work at a shooting range ,if you can , then you'll be comfortable with both . Decide what's best in you circumstance .
wink.png

I agree with UWW. We have 1 or 2 guns around here as well.
smile.png
What I grab depends on what is out there. For a pistol I grab the .357 or .44 mag. "light" rifle a ruger mini 14 or the Colt HBAR both in .223 anything bigger gets a .308

Steve in NC

12 gauge with 00 buck shot, magnum loads. Semi-auto will not recoil so badly. Slugs are optional, and have terrific knock-down power. Legal issues cannot be ignored. Some neighbor might just turn you in. Stranger things have happened.

Back
Top Bottom