Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
West Virginia
I have some new chicks, some from Estes Hatchery, and two
sad.png
that I hatched myself in my LG.

(There should have been more.)

Anyway, I have them under clear heat lamps, not red.

The woman at the feed store said that clear lamps would hurt their eyes.

I have always used clear, never saw any problem with their eyes.

Can this be true? Have you ever heard that clear heat lamps will hurt their little eyes?

Catherine

I used a red heat lamp.

After reading up for several months before getting my first chicks, it sounded to me that the red lights are so much better for the chicks overall. Calming and easier to sleep.

I wouldn't want to sleep with a bright light on me 24/7.

Out of all the books I've read and all the websites I've looked at, I don't think I saw one that said that clear light would hurt their eyes. Professional chicken houses probably use that, right?

We chose red because it's supposed to reduce the incidence of pecking and because we didn't want them to get used to light 24 hours a day. I'm all for encouraging a "regular" day/night cycle. Our cats already play at night when we're trying to sleep so I'd hate to have chickens doing the same thing, lol.

I've used white and red and I find the red is far more soothing on the chicks...they seem calmer and less skittish then when they were under the white light...

In a nutshell, everything I've experienced and everything I've read says RED is the best way to go.

If you stare into the clear light and then look away does it freak out your eyes more then if you do it with a red light??? I'm guessing it would hurt yours eyes and theirs if you compare the two, but is there medical proof??? I don't know of any...

Last edited:
I use both. I use red on my younger chicks, and the older ones in the coop, get the clear one. I've never heard that about the clear hurting their eyes. That's interesting...
frow.gif

Ok. The reason wasn''t using red was because someone told me that they would put out too MUCH heat for the chicks.

I do know it is supposed to reduce the incidence of pecking, and I can see how it would be better at night.

I guess I will try red.

The only ones I can find are 250 watts.

Thanks for responding, all.
smile.png

Catherine

I use a red 100 wt 'landscape type' flood lamp that I bought at Home Depot. They are reasonably priced and they aren't as hot as the regular 250 wt heat lamps.

our red heat lamp melted part of the plastic tote our chicks are in & almost caught the wood top on fire! it was blabk & smokin' ! watch your placement real close!
smile.png

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom