1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What made you decide to get numerous different breeds of chicken?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by harvster, Mar 20, 2011.

1. harvster

harvster Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    SE PA
    I'm obviously new here and just recently ordered 5 pullets (red star) I got all the same because I wanted the eggs to be similar in size/color. But, nearly everyone seems to have 17 different breeds listed in their sigline. Am I destined for this as well?[​IMG]

2. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    I fear you may be. I've only had our chicks for two weeks, RIR's, and I'm planning to get a silkie or two this coming weekend. Who knows what will be next!?!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I started out with variety.... variety is the spice of life...

But if you want to breed a line that you like, you need to downsize to 2 or 3 breeds.

4. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I like the different feather coloring and the different color eggs [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I started with variety simply out of the fear I would not be able to tell them apart. I was new to chickens and KNEW I'd name them, but didn't trust I could tell 'em apart. It would be stupid to start each morning greeting a flock of 6 with, "Good morning, Rhoda! How ya doin', Rhoda?! 'Morning, Rhoda! Top of the morning to you, Rhoda! Hey there, Rhoda! Whatcha doin' there, Rhoda?" I mean, really.

So I got all different breeds. Later I discovered I could tell "duplicate breeds" apart. Whew! But I still like the different colors and sizes and a very colorful egg basket.

Here's my solo Rhoda, by the way.
    [​IMG]

6. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Thats how it works you say you only want a few or a certain breed. but then you look up chickens on the internet and you see one that you like untill you have way to many.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2011
  7. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I started out with a few different breeds but for eggs and they were all brown egg layers. Then I wanted some blue eggs so I got a couple of EE's. Then my DH thought that NN were cool looking, and I ended up with a BLRW that was supposed to be a Lavender Orpington. I think I just like having different looking chickens. It just makes my flock interesting to look at.

8. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Me too. I wanted to be sure I could tell each and every one apart. I have one each of 12 different breeds. I like that my eggs are all a bit different too.

9. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I do the same thing with plants. A lady told me it is a collector's garden. So, I guess I have a collector's flock! I love the variety! Problem is stopping.....sigh...

10. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I love having a variety of breeds. With my latest flock, I had certain breeds I wanted for certain reasons. Got those, plus some others I didn't even know I wanted but glad I got.

Breeds I knew I wanted:

Black Copper Marans : Wanted those DARK eggs

EE's and/or Ameraucanas : Wanted those blue/green eggs

Silkie : Had one before who was my baby, she got caught by a chicken hawk. I wanted another baby, so got this one.

Rhode Island Red : Traditional, brown egg layer

The ones I didn't know I wanted:

Polish : Ended up with one that came as a package with the Silkie. He died, however, I have a month old girl now. They are too cute with their funny hat, and I will get a white egg.

Buff Orpington : Just fluffy and cute. Ended up having the nicest disposition. Love her.

Barred Rock : Another traditional brown egg layer. So chatty and is quickly becoming my best layer.

Silver Laced Wyandotte : Love the pattern and she was just another baby for the brooder

My Husband wanted Jersey Giants so he picked the 2 Jerseylicious girls up. He still wants a Jersey Roo.

I really need to stop buying them. And thought I was done when I got the babies a few weeks ago. However, there was an ad for a Lavender Ameraucana. I had to have her! She is darling. That's 14 chickens now in my "small" backyard flock of what started out to be 3 or 4 hens and a rooster. So it goes.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by