What Makes A Show Quality Silkie? ADDED PICS

Quote:
That's a great question that I don't know the answer to, hopefully someone else will know. I wonder the same thing. My roo, that scalped all the ones above, was also an "accidental" roo that I couldn't bear to part with. Now, I have NEVER seen him mating, but obviously I know he does, so I was assuming that this must be happening from mating. The above poster with the bald chicken IS exactly how mine looked too, their head feathers are *trying* to grow back in. I've never had any other rooster of any other breed, so I have no idea if they're extra rough, or if Silkie feathers come out easier, or what. I do know I posted this very question, about why just the heads.... (not their backs or shoulders or necks), a while back but no one really answered me.
hmm.png
And my biggest question is, if they're always mating, will they always be walking around with crew cuts or bald like this? Or do they ever get a chance to grow it back in? That top pic of mine, Rachel, had a HUGE crest, big and round, and it's down to nothing.
sad.png

I was just thinking, you know how some people make those cloth "chicken saddles" to protect their feathers? Maybe I could make little tiny bonnets.
lol.png
Still hoping someone will have an answer to my most recent post though, a few of us are wondering about this Silkie-head-scalping-mating issue (see my post a couple up). Thanks!

Unless you are selling or hatching fertile eggs, why not seperate the roo from the hens? You could make him a pen within your main run. That way he can see the flock without getting lonely, or you could give him a friend too. Just a thought.
smile.png

Quote:
Good thought, but it's not practical for my situation. While their run is large, their henhouse itself is not big enough to create a division, and with the brutal NH winters they all need to cuddle in the winter or he would surely freeze to death. And I'm certainly not getting another roo as a buddy, it's bad enough I have one!
roll.png
He is part of the family though, and looks after the others, so I don't want to get rid of him, I'd just like it if he weren't always scalping the Silkie hens. Thanks for the thought though.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Good thought, but it's not practical for my situation. While their run is large, their henhouse itself is not big enough to create a division, and with the brutal NH winters they all need to cuddle in the winter or he would surely freeze to death. And I'm certainly not getting another roo as a buddy, it's bad enough I have one!
roll.png
He is part of the family though, and looks after the others, so I don't want to get rid of him, I'd just like it if he weren't always scalping the Silkie hens. Thanks for the thought though.
smile.png

SO, during winter let him snuggle up to them all, but while it is nice weather, pen him with constantly changing companions--letting those who are most "worn" have time away from him. (Or give THEM a separate pen and let him stay with the flock
wink.png
)

I do not think silkie roosters are any more or less "gentle" when mating than any other breed, nor do I think silkie feathers pull out more easily. I will say that it is easier for a bird to grab a bunch of crest feathers than to grab as many head feathers that lie flat against the head. I've seen some pretty tattered non-crested birds, too, though. IMO polish have MUCH more problems with pulling crest feathers than silkies.

Quote:
roll.png
smile.png

SO, during winter let him snuggle up to them all, but while it is nice weather, pen him with constantly changing companions--letting those who are most "worn" have time away from him. (Or give THEM a separate pen and let him stay with the flock
wink.png
)

I do not think silkie roosters are any more or less "gentle" when mating than any other breed, nor do I think silkie feathers pull out more easily. I will say that it is easier for a bird to grab a bunch of crest feathers than to grab as many head feathers that lie flat against the head. I've seen some pretty tattered non-crested birds, too, though. IMO polish have MUCH more problems with pulling crest feathers than silkies.

Sounds like a royal pain in the butt to be honest.
lol.png
I mean, I put a lot of time and money into their run, and to try and modify it... ugh. Probably have to hire someone, I'm disabled and wouldn't be able to do much on my own, it would cost extra money I don't have, and then trying to constantly rotate the chickens... just sounds like a pain. I hope I don't come off as someone who isn't willing to put effort into my chickens, I love them dearly and put a TON of time and planning into their original coop, etc. I guess I'm just not thrilled with the idea of separating them and rotating them. Plus they're a happy little flock, I think I'd experience guilt separating them!
sad.png

The scalping of their heads is not HARMING them, correct? I don't see any wounds or anything, just baldness. As long as it is causing them no harm, I think I'd just accept it as mating habits and get over the visual of it, since I'm not planning to show them or anything. If they were in any danger because of this though, I will certainly reconsider. They all seem quite happy...

Quote:
Thank you! This now raises a new question, yes, I know I'm full of them. You posted a link to a 1930's show, and Sonoran Silkies mentioned show winners from "30 years ago".... So my question is, why the references to such old shows? Did something change in recent times that we are comparing them with many years ago?? Just curious.

Quote:
Thank you! This now raises a new question, yes, I know I'm full of them. You posted a link to a 1930's show, and Sonoran Silkies mentioned show winners from "30 years ago".... So my question is, why the references to such old shows? Did something change in recent times that we are comparing them with many years ago?? Just curious.

Just as styles of house/clothes/cars/etc. have changed dramatically in the last 30 years, so have the desires of silkie breeders. Crests are larger, backs are shorter , tails are much fluffier and less pointed, foot feathering is denser, legs are shorter, etc. The only reason for mentioning 30 years ago is the contrast between the champions of then and now.

Back
Top Bottom