What Makes A Show Quality Silkie? ADDED PICS

Laurajean

Slightly Touched
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
New Hampshire
**I added pics for those who asked.

Forgive me if this has been asked or for my ignorance in general, I know nothing about showing chickens and I don't ever visit this section.

I'm not planning to show my Silkies, as I'm sure they are NOT show quality. But I got thinking about it and wondering. I've seen pictures of GORGEOUS Silkies, all fluffy with giant head poofs, etc. Then I look at MY Silkies and think they must have pulled them from the discount bin.
hmm.png
Don't get me wrong, I love them very much, but they look scraggly and pathetic compared to so many pics I've seen. Their "head poofs" (there's probably a proper term for that) are not huge like pictures I've seen, they're pretty small, and they just have an overall scraggly look compared to pics I see of others. They are healthy, a good weight, very clean and well cared for with a super spacious coop, so it's not poor health. They just don't seem as "fancy" as others I've seen.

So anyway, I'm just curious. I assume mine just have lousy genetics, show quality-wise at least, but are there certain standards for show quality Silkies, and what are they? Certain attributes that make a show Silkie? I'd love an education on this, thanks!

Last edited:
There are bearded and nonbearded varieties

Basically, when choosing which bird to show or breed from I go by certain things - not in order I look at........

Color of feathers & skin
Bird size
Comb type and size - I make sure no horns on the comb & it is a walnut comb that is mulberry in color
Crest size - some have poofier crests than others, and nonbearded silkies tend to have smaller crests in my experience.
Toes - I look for # of toes first. Spacing between the last 2 toes plays a small role in my decision making, but not as much as lack of toes or too many toes.
Feather Legs - Nice feathering down leg and middle toe
Wings - I look for wings held tight and high on the body, and not too much nor too little shredding
Tail - A nice poofy cushion, without hard feathers, or with few hard feathers
Ears - turquoise ears

I probably missed something. Not had enough coffee yet

Hatchery stock looks a lot different than show stock IMO.

Last edited:
A general reply to a few different posts....

Yes, I did get them from a hatchery. I never had ANY intention of showing them and still don't, I'm only curious about the differences. I KNOW mine aren't show quality for sure.
lol.png
I just wanted bantams as pets so ordered a "featherfooted bantam assortment". Ended up with five Silkies, A Mille Fleur D' Uccle, and a Cochin. The D'Uccle and Cochin are beautiful, not sure if they're "show quality" or not, but they're very nice. The Silkies are really kind of laughable, but I do love them anyway.

They are a year and a month old today, actually.

I *think* one is bearded, and I don't think the rest are. Right now all their head poofs are extra scraggly thanks to the Roo, who is also a Silkie.
roll.png

I gotta run out now for an appointment, but I'll try to find some pics to post of them when I get back. You can't laugh at them though, it will hurt their momma's feelings.
hide.gif

Oh, and they DO at least all have five toes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom