What makes the best guard...Llama or emu, or what?

I totally vote llama because I have one, and he's fantastic. He's rather clean, only uses one spot in the yard for his waste, which can go right onto the garden as fertilizer. Plus no barking and they require far less care than a dog and are much gentler than donkeys. Llamas are naturally wary of dogs and foxes and such and will run them off. Minr runs off the neighbor's cats as well.
BUT - my guinea fowl are rather good at guarding (or at least acting as alarms), as are geese, if you can handle the noise they make!

Quote:
They're quiet too, unlike guineas, donkeys, & dogs. They'll chase off coyotes and dogs. They're not huge, and don't eat as much as cows. They would like the cold MN weather also and wouldn't need protection from snow.

Last edited:
I saw a nearby farmer hauling a sheep carcass (there are still two carcasses in the field) onto his truck. There are several sheep and a llama there. Not sure what happened, but the llama didn't do much. That was either a coyote (I've seen them out there) or mountain lion attack.

Quote:
They're quiet too, unlike guineas, donkeys, & dogs. They'll chase off coyotes and dogs. They're not huge, and don't eat as much as cows. They would like the cold MN weather also and wouldn't need protection from snow.

Wow, where in the world would I get a YAK ????
lau.gif

stirkle[b :

]i would say urine.. we have a large garden and a lot of it is out of view... soo occasionally i will go out an do my bizz

Be sure to wave at the neighbors if they drive by so that they do not get the wrong idea.
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:

Wow, where in the world would I get a YAK ????
lau.gif

Well, in MN it shouldn't be too hard. Try craigslist or look for a breeder/owner clost to you at International Yak Association www.iyak.us I think, or just google IYAK.

Back
Top Bottom