What medication to give chicks?

lulubell15

Songster
6 Years
Dec 12, 2015
County Offaly, Ireland.
I have two 10 week old chicks & I have been feeding them on what I thought was medicated chick crumb. I was told it was medicated, but never thought to check the bag ( I know.. I'm stupid). So these chicks haven't had any medication whatsoever, & they have been let out free ranging most days from around 3 weeks old. Any advice on what I could give them now?

I feed my chicks medicated chick starter, always have. There's a very small amount of amprolium in the feed. It helps build resistance over time to coccidia protozoa. However it's not enough to treat an infection.
Since you're in Ireland, check the label on the feed sack and read what type of medication the feed contains. It may or may not be amprolium. Please let us know what you find out.

I feed my chicks medicated chick starter, always have. There's a very small amount of amprolium in the feed. It helps build resistance over time to coccidia protozoa. However it's not enough to treat an infection.
Since you're in Ireland, check the label on the feed sack and read what type of medication the feed contains. It may or may not be amprolium. Please let us know what you find out.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I have been feeding chick crumb since hatched thinking it was medicated, but after checking the bag yesterday It says it's Not a medicated feed. So now I'm looking for advice on what i could/should give them now at 10 weeks old.

Are they having symptoms of coccidiosis? If they are not having symptoms then there is no reason to give them anything. Exposure at a low rate allows them to build immunity and they will become resistant to any strains they are exposed to. If they are sick/showing any symptoms then you would need to treat with amprolium. Amprol and Coxoid I think are brands there, Corid is most common in the US, but the medication is amprolium.

Are they having symptoms of coccidiosis? If they are not having symptoms then there is no reason to give them anything. Exposure at a low rate allows them to build immunity and they will become resistant to any strains they are exposed to. If they are sick/showing any symptoms then you would need to treat with amprolium. Amprol and Coxoid I think are brands there, Corid is most common in the US, but the medication is amprolium.
No signs of any ailments in the chicks or the adult hens, thankfully. I am always giving fresh garlic, ACV & dusting with DE powder regularly. Thank you so much for putting my mind at rest, I was thinking I would have to dose the whole flock (all 12 of them 😄). Stay safe & well.

Back
Top Bottom