What Model Incubator For Newbie?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by goosemama, Oct 20, 2009.

1. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    Am reviewing various incubators online/Ebay/Amazon and various companies. What is important in an incubator for a Newbie? Air circulator? auto turning? elec. thermometer? HELP!! I need some guidance.
    Thanks
    Linda

2. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Best advice I can give is DO NOT GET A LITTLE GIANT!!! Out of 32 eggs (in 2 batches) I have one chick. And its a boy [​IMG] beyond that, I don't know. I wish I had asked that question instead of just buying what my local farm supply store had in stock. Trust me, no matter how cheap you get it, the little giant is NOT worth the space it takes up.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm a newbie to this too, I'm on Day 18 of my first hatch. I have a hovabator 1602N with the auto turner. So far, I'm thrilled with it. It holds temperature really well. We'll see in a few days how it does with hatching. [​IMG]

4. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    My cat opened me front door this morning in freezing weather. The Little Giants dropped 5 degrees in temperature. The Hovabator stayed as steady as a rock.

5. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Definitely get one with a fan and auto egg turner. A lot of people have good luck with their Little Giant brand, but most will tell you that the Hovabators are better (I have 3 Hovas). The best price around on a brand new bator is www.cutlersupply.com. Some people are not aware of the price of a new bator and pay the same on ebay for a used one, sad really. Whatever you do, don't get the little yellow dome one that'll hatch 3 chicken eggs. Good luck to you on your purchase! [​IMG]

6. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    Thank you All for your helpful suggestions - that's just what I needed. Knowing how low tech I am (nice way of saying I'm a Klutz), I need something that does all the work. Can't see myself being on time three times a day to turn them so decided a turner is needed. Its sometimes hard from the descriptions on the various websites to see just what is included in the various models (esp. the Hovabator) - there are many different models. I've spent the whole day researching and just now went to collect the eggs and check on everyone. The time sure flies! I definitely do not want a used one and would rather spend more to get one that has all the features needed to assure a good hatch. Yes I'll stay away from the Little Giant as many wrote in to recommend. And a 3 egg hatcher is way too small I agree. I am now looking for a HovaBator w/turner at the best price out there, as research and many users have much to recommend them.

If anyone thinks of anything else - just let me know!
    Thanks Again
    Linda

7. Tad

Tad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    I have a hovabator genesis with turner started 36 eggs, candled again yesterday and tossed 3 I have hatched over 50 chicks in the last 3 runs and I wouldnt trade it for nothing!!

8. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    my first hatch was a used LG. never again. i didn't sleep in 21 days. and hatched 5 out of 35 eggs

now, i have a hova...and it's day 13 and i've only had to throw out 7 shipped eggs. it does hold temps much much better then the USED lg did. it has spiked today because the room temp went up 20 degrees, but it's not hard to get it back under control.

sitting right next to it now, is a brand new LG. not sure i'm gonna like it, and it's very possible that in 3 weeks, it will be up for sale, but my dad got it for me, and there are people that use only LG with no problems. time will tell. so far it's been 24 hours, and it still wont temp where i want it

I did buy my hova 1602N with turner off of ebay NEW with shipping for 92 dollars from discountpets. it was at my house 2 days after i paid for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by