What not to Feed Chickens?

angie_02

Chirping
Jun 2, 2017
I've given my chickens fruits like bananas and cantaloupe, as well as lettuce because they really enjoy getting fresh treats. I want to continue giving them new fruits and vegetables but I'm wondering if and what foods I should avoid giving my chickens? Thanks!

Raw rice is found in many pigeon feed mixes. Raw rice will not kill birds! That is an old wives tale. While apple seeds do contain arsenic, my flocks have eaten tons of apples over the year with no problems. Everything in moderation.

I have crazy dogs, I had already fenced my tomatoes, beans, peas, and peppers because I have an older dog who I've caught picking and eating them. I couldn't figure out where they were all going to. So plop the chicks in the 5 fenced raised beds in the fall and early spring to play, they are all ready for them with welded wire. Course I would be out there not being predator safe from above or animals who could get through the 2 inch holds.

Mine get everything and I've never had a problem. We literally scrape our plates after every meal into a little chook feed bin which gets emptied each day into a dirt feed area. The chooks scratch and push and eat what they want and leave what they don't. Every couple of weeks I scrape the top layer off and put it in my compost heap. We put out of date food, their own egg shells, veggie scraps (except raw potato), stale bread, leftover cat food in this feed area as well.

Back
Top Bottom