What not to feed your chickens:

I think that in the same article the OP was looking at, there was a quote "I stopped thinking that my chickens knew what was good for them when they started eating a styrofoam block" Or something along those lines. I do the occasional treat, but most of their diet is layer feed.

Actually, the thing I was referring to was in a video on YouTube.

Type in to the search "how I feed my chickens free" or something, and it should come up.

The OP mentioned an article about what to feed and what not to feed chickens on BYC-I was quoting from that article in response to your post :)

Yes, I understand that. :) You said in the beginning of your post that maybe we were talking about the same article, so I explained that it was a video I got this information, not an article. :) I know it can get a little confusing. :lol:

Yes, I understand that. :) You said in the beginning of your post that maybe we were talking about the same article, so I explained that it was a video I got this information, not an article. :) I know it can get a little confusing. :lol:
Now I'm confused..I think that I was saying that maybe OP and I had read the same article? I don't even know at this point :lol:

I heard of a man once who just took all kinds of kitchen scraps and gave a bucket full to his chickens every morning. He said,

"Chickens know what is good and what is bad. There are circus fruits and onions and other stuff people say chickens can't have in this, but they just pick through it!"

I'm not sure if that is misinformation though. What do you guys think? I've always been extra careful when feeding my chickens treats because they are pets.
Actually, a friend of mine does that and he has had chickens several years.

I think the video mentioned may have been Justin Rhodes? He feeds his chickens a mix of mash, pasture, food waste, and compost. The guy from Edible Acres does food waste, compost, and some whole (sprouted) grains.

I’m 4+ months into feeding a mix of food waste, compost, and layer pellet.

It can be done. The chickens tend to eat the greens, carbs, and fruit/veggies and ignore the onions and a lot of the citrus.

Citrus is not bad for chickens. There are lots of rumors about citrus and chickens, but no actual evidence that it harms them. Some like it, some don't. I think one line of thinking is that the high levels of acid neutralize the calcium in their diet, resulting in soft shell eggs or poor egg production. I don't know how true that is. Some people feed citrus to their chickens with no ill effects at all.

I would be inclined to trust the chickens to know what's good for them only when it comes to natural foods they would have come in contact with in their evolutionary past. So they can probably pick out the good plants to graze on, etc. But a chicken has no concept of styrofoam or other man-made materials, so chicken wisdom has its limits.

Back
Top Bottom