What NOT to feed?

Momto3

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Northern Idaho
Ok I see all these threads of things that people are feeding their chickens. I am curious if there is something that you should NOT feed them?
smile.png

Off the top of my head....no citrus, chocolate, potato peels, nothing too salty, no sugary junk, onions, garlic...there's probably a few more.

I feed mine anything that we eat...even potato peelings
ep.gif
(cooked before they are fed) I feed my oranges but usually only what my 2 kids don't finish of their orange. Common sense is what most of it is about. Bread is a favorite, oh Kraft Mac and Cheese is the absolute fav!! Rice, fries, meat, mashed potato, tomato soup, most things that come off our table that the dogs won't eat the chickens get
smile.png

Quote:
I agree on chocolate and sugar... but why no garlic and onions? I've fed mine onions, and I give them garlic every 2 weeks or more for an immune booster.
Thanks
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree on chocolate and sugar... but why no garlic and onions? I've fed mine onions, and I give them garlic every 2 weeks or more for an immune booster.
Thanks
smile.png

I think people are worried about making the eggs taste like onions and garlic. I don't feed those to my chickens either (or fish for the egg laying hens).

Ok I guess that makes sense. In the year I've had chickens and I feed them garlic a lot! My 8 year old has said 1 egg smelled like garlic. But its never bothered me, my other family members or my customers. And it was just one egg about 6 months ago. But maybe we eat to much garlic as a family to notice it.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom