What other ducks can successfully mate with a welsh harlequin?

Imagine crossing muscovies with Perkins for meat (big with a higher fat content!!!) or khaki campbells for eggs, but quiet and less dependent on water and capable of roosting.

For now I'm sticking with my Welshes, they are hard to find locally and I didn't want to pay $32 shipping for a couple ducks (I will only have a small flock)... I contacted my feed store and they will get some in for me and sell them to me though! I'm super excited, I have to get 6 but I will just resell/rehome the ones I don't want/need.

If you are looking for a drake to make a terminal cross with your welsh hens for meat birds... I'm just guessing here. You would be best going with Peking or Rouen, though muscovy would also be an option as I hear the mules they produce are fast growing and tasty. If you want to preserve egg laying ability and that is your focus... stay purebred.

Last edited:
I was just considering trying a different breed duck just to compare. I have a WH pair so I thought about getting a different duck who would mate with the drake.

I was just considering trying a different breed duck just to compare. I have a WH pair so I thought about getting a different duck who would mate with the drake.
As long as they are comparable in size any other breed would work, in other words you wouldn't want an large drake mating with a tiny Call or East indie

My Cayuga drake bred one of my chocolate-pied Muscovy hens. The resulting ducklings were ENORMOUS!!! Far bigger and prettier than any Muscovy or other ducklings I've ever seen! They are, of course, sterile. Beautiful, iridescent black pied ducklings that would have made fantastic meat birds--but they went for pets.
jumpy.gif
They are reportedly now very friendly and did not develop noticeable caruncles.

My Cayuga drake bred one of my chocolate-pied Muscovy hens. The resulting ducklings were ENORMOUS!!! Far bigger and prettier than any Muscovy or other ducklings I've ever seen! They are, of course, sterile. Beautiful, iridescent black pied ducklings that would have made fantastic meat birds--but they went for pets.
jumpy.gif
They are reportedly now very friendly and did not develop noticeable caruncles.

Wish you had pictures. I would love to see what they look like!

Edit because I just noticed this post is pretty old lol. I'd love to know if you added any new duckies and how that's going :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom