What plant?

Pat Mcaffee

Chirping
Jul 23, 2017
I found this plant growing in my Egyptian onion patch and I was wondering what it is? Rhubarb?

Attachments

• 9CD4649E-32FF-42B5-8196-1B43DD45CACA.jpeg
    9CD4649E-32FF-42B5-8196-1B43DD45CACA.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 12
I think Dock is in the same family. I am not familiar with the different species. I have a foraging book, and know that Dock is among the edibles, but do not know when to harvest or the specifics of how to prep it. Never take the word for someone on the net, (particularly me!) about whether a certain wild plant is edible or not! For myself, I'd cautiously try it after doing the research, but would not lead someone else down that path.

It looks like a dock to me which are weeds and believe me I should know because I have loads of them and I'm pretty sure if they were "pleasantly" edible I would have made use of them by now. Horses will not eat them and usually the chickens won't either, which tells me that they are probably not tasty.

I've got half a yard of curly dock & the chickens are loving it. No more in their flight cage. I cut it & toss it in. They fill up on it during their walks.

See if the chickens are interested. Mine are.

I've got half a yard of curly dock & the chickens are loving it. No more in their flight cage. I cut it & toss it in. They fill up on it during their walks.

See if the chickens are interested. Mine are.
Mine love it too! I have a plant that comes up every year in the same place, yup, the root goes to China and I cannot get rid of it. So... the chickens get it.

Back
Top Bottom