What predator does not eat bones?

nipper75

Songster
9 Years
Mar 5, 2011
NorthEast PA
Lost my little bantam roo yesterday to an unknown predator. Found a pile of feathers where I believe that attack happened and then some more a few yards away. My husband found what was left of him today:
Beak
Skelton
Feet

He said it was picked clean.

What could this be?

Are you aware of any predators that are common in your area? (Are there presence of coyotes, racoons, hawks, Fox, Weasel) Sometimes if we know what's common in the area we can figure out what it is

We gave all of the predators you listed. But which one leaves bones only. This was all in a matter of 24 hours. Carcass found in the woods

Quote:
Sounds like a bird of prey . Hawk or owl . They avoid eating larger bones . Owls spit up pellets of fur and small bones as they can not digest them .

A domestic or feral cat will leave bones behind but there will probably be tooth marks all over them. It was a bantam so a cat is possible.

A few years back I shot a skunk before breakfast near the coop but waited until after breakfast to take care of the carcass. In the meantime vultures stripped the skeleton bare and turned the pelt inside out. They did leave the smell unfortunately. Too bad they didn’t consume everything.

Don’t get too hung up on just bones being left. It is very possible something else killed the rooster and vultures stripped the carcass like Ol Grey Mare said. It doesn’t take them long. That leaves a really long list of possible predators, raccoon, skunk, possum, bird of prey, or weasel just to name a few.

Lost my little bantam roo yesterday to an unknown predator. Found a pile of feathers where I believe that attack happened and then some more a few yards away. My husband found what was left of him today:
Beak
Skelton
Feet

He said it was picked clean.
What could this be?

I don’t rlly know but I think maybe hawk or raccoon not sure

Sounds like a predator killed and consumed part of the bird and the rest was cleaned up by scavenger birds.
I agree. If you have a camera put it up because whatever it was will be back and has probably been lurking looking for an opportunity and you may never see it. Probably a fox killed him and ate what it wanted and a vulture or some bird of prey finished the rest. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom