What predator does not eat bones?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by nipper75, Oct 7, 2014.

1. nipper75

nipper75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    NorthEast PA
    Lost my little bantam roo yesterday to an unknown predator. Found a pile of feathers where I believe that attack happened and then some more a few yards away. My husband found what was left of him today:
    Beak
    Skelton
    Feet

He said it was picked clean.

What could this be?

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Are you aware of any predators that are common in your area? (Are there presence of coyotes, racoons, hawks, Fox, Weasel) Sometimes if we know what's common in the area we can figure out what it is

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Sounds like a predator killed and consumed part of the bird and the rest was cleaned up by scavenger birds.

4. nipper75

nipper75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    NorthEast PA
    We gave all of the predators you listed. But which one leaves bones only. This was all in a matter of 24 hours. Carcass found in the woods

5. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Quote:Sounds like a bird of prey . Hawk or owl . They avoid eating larger bones . Owls spit up pellets of fur and small bones as they can not digest them .

1 person likes this.
  6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    A domestic or feral cat will leave bones behind but there will probably be tooth marks all over them. It was a bantam so a cat is possible.

A few years back I shot a skunk before breakfast near the coop but waited until after breakfast to take care of the carcass. In the meantime vultures stripped the skeleton bare and turned the pelt inside out. They did leave the smell unfortunately. Too bad they didn’t consume everything.

Don’t get too hung up on just bones being left. It is very possible something else killed the rooster and vultures stripped the carcass like Ol Grey Mare said. It doesn’t take them long. That leaves a really long list of possible predators, raccoon, skunk, possum, bird of prey, or weasel just to name a few.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by