What predator is eating my predator?

You could also capture the snake and toss him a few miles away from your house
hmm.png
rather than kill it... they will and can take care of rodents...
We threw in a couple super large (6+ ft.) bullsnakes the past summer... we lost NO baby birds... even the adult bantams that the snake could easily eat
hmm.png

No good reason to kill a good predator
hmm.png
IMHO - if you're scared of it, suck it up and pick it up anyways. It's what the snake does for a living
hmm.png

As for the rats, owl or cat. Or maybe it died and something ate away at it then?

For the person with the rat terriers and the mules, that's so sad
sad.png
my little ratties run around with the cow, though they were pretty much raised together lol wonder if you can do anything to change it? I don't like cats either; they stink everything up with piss
hmm.png
and then you cry over them (even if you hate them) when something kills your favorite barn kitty!!!! Rat terriers do a WONDERFUL job at killing rats! Ours once in a blue will growl at the birds, but nothing much else in harm.

"You could also capture the snake and toss him a few miles away from your house
hmm.png
rather than kill it... they will and can take care of rodents...
We threw in a couple super large (6+ ft.) bullsnakes the past summer... we lost NO baby birds... even the adult bantams that the snake could easily eat
hmm.png
"

When I find snakes and they haven't caused trouble, I generally move them. Critters that start eating or chasing my stock will likely suffer consequences. Different strokes for different folks.
wink.png

When we stayed at my In Laws once upon a time we went to the back door to find a mouse (or small rat) laying on the mat. Not too odd really. Except that next to it was its liver. It had been removed and set aside. No blood showing on the mouse, just a neat tidy slice. Just remember this. Humans use a single scalpel to operate... cats have 18 built in scalpels that they keep good and sharp by climbing, sharpening (on couches among other things), etc. They can be insanely patient, and eerily playful when hunting. And if they don't have an 'owner' to present their catch too it could easily become a snack with the leftovers discarded.

Last edited:
No clue, but I'm in the foothills of NC, too. If you want a great hunter cat, I have one here that someone abandoned and you are welcome to. We think she may be pregnant, though...alternatively, you'd be welcome to any babies if you want some as barn cats. :)

Back
Top Bottom